7

The next morning Melody woke up, and the night before felt like a dream. Everything that had happened from the moment she entered this house yesterday afternoon was so unbelievable that it had to have been a dream. But when she looked at her canvas shoes that were caked with mud and pine needles, and saw her reflection in the mirror with a faint bruise on her cheek she knew that it was all real.

Once again she got ready in her room, and waited until the last moment before darting down the stairs and directly out the front door to her bike, avoiding everyone. She was going to need to figure out a way to get a lunch packed for herself, she didn't want to live off cafeteria food and vending machines. Maybe she could get a mini fridge up to her room somehow and keep some things to at least make herself a sandwich in the mornings.

Her bike ride to school was peaceful, the woods and trees seeming far less intimidating in the bright morning sunlight than they had last night. She had done her best to try and cover the bruise on her face, but she wasn't the best with makeup, especially not something as complicated as color correction. Anyone who looked closely at her would be able to notice it. Good thing she didn't have anyone who would be looking close at her. Well anyone other than Alexander who already knew everything.

She had a pretty good routine figured out now, bike to school, lock her bike, hit her locker and go to class. She could hear the other students whispering to each other as she passed them in the halls. Apparently she was still the hottest gossip at school right now. She couldn't help but try and listen to what people were saying.

I heard she's psycho, went ballistic on Randy in gym for no reason

.... Her own step brother!

Punched him right in the face

He's such a nice guy

I heard Alicia saw her at the Snow Queen with Alexander last night.

Slut

Whore

Psycho

I heard Randy never hit her, where'd she get that bruise?

A second fight and we missed it?

Whore

Bitch

Stuck up

"Oh" she said softly to herself. Melody wished she hadn't heard any of it. She definitely wasn't going to have an easy time making any friends now. She could feel the heat in her face as she flushed under the weight of the hissing gossip around her in the halls. Everything in sight started to get blurry as tears built up in her eyes. "I'm not a bad person" she whispered to herself, as she crouched low to the ground, hiding her face while she gathered the books and notepads she needed for her morning classes.

"Hey Melody! You ok?" Alexander's loud voice and hulking but comforting presence was suddenly behind her, and the whispers stopped almost instantly as everyone watched them together.

She wiped away the unshed tears from her eyes on her sweater, steeled her face, and turned to look at him, a fake smile on her face. "I'm totally fine, why do you ask?" She stood up, back straight, holding her books and notepads against her chest like armor.

"Melody, you don't have to lie to me. I heard what everyone is saying,"he paused and leaned closer to her ear to whisper "and I can see the bruise on your face."

Her hand flew up to hide the bruise on her face, "Just words and this isn't a big deal. I'm fine." She wasn't fine though. Not by a long shot.

"You don't have to pretend Melody"