2:30

On the plane ride home, Melody had the strangest dream. It wasn't anything she recognised, it moved her emotionally in a way she had never experienced in a dream. It was as though light itself was fighting to stay bright as a liquid darkness tried to touch and drag under anything it could touch. Melody felt bad for the tiny dancing threads of light, watching as more and more were snuffed out and her dream became darker and darker.

The liquid darkness was almost seductive looking, like it would be warm and peaceful inside the thick liquid if you let it wash over you.

"But you mustn't"

Melody felt it, more than she heard it. It was strange. Like a voice in her mind, that wasn't her own. She liked the voice, it made her feel stronger. So she focused on the light, on wanting it to be brighter.

"Think of joy"

And Melody did, she thought of her children, of Alexander, of watching Raven become the awesome female leader a pack needed, Melody thought about the joy she felt with her friends, when she was talking with Delia. She thought of all the things that brought her joy, that she was grateful for.

She thought of every single kind thing anyone had ever said to her. She thought of the Lunar Luna Parties, and how much love her simple idea had brought together. As Melody reflected on her joys, the lights in her dream multiplied, until they were able to conquer the darkness. Bright threads of light, shimmering with all the colors Melody could name, dancing to a song she couldn't hear. She felt it.

Melody awoke with a start, like someone had splashed water onto her. But she was warm, dry, and safe in Alexander's arms. Alexander smiled into Melody's brown eyes, she felt lighter now. There was sunshine back in her heart, the storm had passed, and somehow he had his sunshine girl back. Not what he expected when she woke up with a start as though from a nightmare. Melody never did do anything exactly like anyone expected.

He had no idea how he had been so lucky to be mated to the strongest woman on the planet. He hated that he had thought Melody's strength would shine to the old guard of his pack eventually. How long he had let their whispers go without enough pushback. That was over. Melody was a warrior, blooded and bloodied, she had earned the title and fuck anyone that dared argue.

Raven would be ecstatic to announce it. A human warrior, and a slight young female. Who was also pregnant right now. Lark would be sure to have some older asses ask to relocate without Raven needing to kick them out. Yes it was still using Melody, but in a way she would be glad for. 'Bullshit wolf politics is no better than human toxic masculinity' she would probably start with, before going into a heated monologue of women's rights issues. Alexander smiled. Sunshine can still burn, passionate fire Melody was his favorite.

Alexander hated to admit that he had ignored Raven when she spoke like Melody did growing up, but hearing the words from Melody's lips made it easier for him to listen. A point both Melody and Raven said was a sign of his flawed nature, because truth should be truth no matter who speaks it. He was trying to be better, and he would be better. He wasn't going to let Ansley grow up in a world where it might be expected that she mate for politics. Or deal with any other bullshit that would come between her and happiness.

Alexander was only one man, but this was something he could do to make the world a better place. He would do everything he could to make sure his daughter and his sons had the best possible lives they could. Ones filled with love and happiness.

Somehow, a trip to murder a man had brought Melody and Alexander even closer together, while also helping Melody get over the loss of her mother and all the wrongs she had suffered. Alexander couldn't explain it, none of this should have worked, based on anyone's understanding of general psychology. Somehow, this had been exactly what Melody had needed.