2: 5

Alexander of course looked terrified when Melody said she had made a friend and wanted to go out Friday night. At first he sputtered that wasn't enough time to clear everything, to make sure Melody would be safe. But she was already prepared for this reaction. The kids had been safely tucked in to sleep, the apartment had been tidied. There was nothing else on her to do list, but tell her mate she was going out. Tell him. Not ask.

Melody had called Guillermo as soon as lunch was over and Delia headed to her own class, while Melody went to hers. She filled Guilermo in on what she wanted to do Friday and gave him Delia's number as a starting point to begin the process of running a security check. Delia also let Melody know that they would be meeting up at her friend Ruby's Friday, and gave her the address, which Melody also passed on to Guillermo, so he could run a check on the apartment building and Ruby herself.

By the time Melody got home that evening, and was telling Alexander, Guillermo was messaging her saying Delia was safe, Ruby too and the apartment building had surveillance already that he could hack into and watch the halls in case anything untoward happened.

Alexander still looked stressed, and worried while he tried to find another reason to say no,"Who else will be there?" he asked.

"I only know that Delia and Ruby will be there, and a couple other girl friends. Alexander be reasonable." she pleaded. This was the whole point of her going to class in person, to meet some friends, and it had taken almost the entire semester for her to even say hello to another student. "Guillermo said he would watch the camera's himself while I am out." She took a deep breath, squared her shoulders, and stood as tall as she could to stare down the Alpha. "Guillermo says I would be safe Alexander. I am going."

What she wasn't ready for, was for Alexander to crumple to his knees in front of her, his arms around her middle as he openly sobbed in their living room. His head pressed into Melody's chest, his ear over her heart listening to the beats. Melody was bewildered by what was happening. She had never seen Alexander break down like this. Not after she was kidnapped, not when he knew she was at risk of turning vampire. Not even when Melody was bleeding too much after delivering James and the Doctors had to fight hard to get it under control. It didn't make sense why he would break down now when all she wanted was to go out like a normal girl her age.

She let Alexander sob into her chest until her tshirt was damp, and his cries began to slow and dwindle while she rubbed calming circles with her palms across his back and shoulders, making soft shushing noises as his breathing returned to normal. When he was calm, he looked up into her chocolate eyes with his ocean blue eyes looking sadder and more broken than Melody had ever witnessed.

Melody ran her fingers through his soft ever tousled locks, searching his face for answers. Trying to understand what had happened. But she came up blank. "Alexander? Please tell me whats wrong." Her voice soft, gentle and soothing. Like she was talking to a frightened wild animal that she didn't want to spook.

Alexander looked at her, quietly, until the seconds stretched into minutes. "I don't know." He finally whispered with such a defeated tone to his voice that Melody's heart broke for him anew. Her mate was suffering and he didn't even know how to start putting himself back together.

Melody went down to her knees, joining him at the level he was at. "Baby," she said, tucking his long curling hair behind his ear so she could better see his face. "I don't know what's bothering you, but I can't help if you wont let me in." She searched his face, wishing she could read his mind. His emotions were such a tangle, she couldn't make sense of them. "Please talk to me."

She watched as the beautiful blue eyes she had first fallen in love with changed to the mystical golden brown color of Flint's. Alerting Melody to the fact that Alexander had either stepped back or been pushed back for the Wolf to come forward and talk to her.