33. Happier than ever

Song recommended- Happier than ever by Billie Eilish

"Go go go." Hoseok motioned his two fingers in four directions then with a troop of men he climbed the stairs ahead me. I followed behind while the firing began.

Yes, the unfurnished floor got painted in red while we made through the hallway leading inside the maze like abandoned building.

Group of hybrids attacked on us and I used up the bullets to penetrate them then again reloading. They were stronger which took an effort from us humans to take the upper hand.

Soon I ran out of my bullets because they were not giving up and healed superfast. I used knife to slit them and shove it right in their throat, beast in me was so eager to survive.

Suddenly the number increased when a another group of hybrids entered in the empty hall. I gulped when I saw them suffering from the same virus.

Looking at those hybrids who were approaching me with deadly glares I stumbled back when a hand pulled my arm and turned me to other direction on a gunpoint.

I gulped when a hand wrapped around my throat with the hot nozzle pressed on the temple. It was none other than Hoseok. He pushed it further with force before he leaned down to whisper. "Sorry, Y/N but now it's the showtime. Trust me."

Trust? What does that mean?

I was bewildered and blank until I looked forward to a man standing in bulletproof black jacket and a M4A1 gun in his hand. My eyes welled up and knees almost gave up when I found he was Jungkook who looked frightened on acknowledging me in front of his eyes.

Every puzzle piece was fitting perfectly. No wonder he wanted me stay home and Seokjin wanted me here. Everyone was damn sure of what was happening but still I hoped for my boyfriend to turn innocent of all accuses but he let me down. He again lied. He betrayed and crushed the already broken trust I had for him.

A sob escaped my lips when I saw him lowering his gun whereas half of his servers got killed.

"Put your arms down. I said put your arms down or I'll kill her," said Hoseok with null stir of empathy. It was his impulsive decision. "What are you doing? We are in one team. I'm scared of you, Hobi." I said.

He clenched his jaw in guilt and said," It's for national security purpose, for all the citizens who are being killed and harmed, for all those who are fighting for their lives in hospitals. We need to stop him to save them. One sacrifice doesn't matter at all..."

"Let her go," Jungkook warned," She's not supposed to be here. She needs to go. If you're a man then fight with me bare hand. Stop hiding behind her." Hoseok grinned after knowing that his plan worked. Jungkook was turning tame.

"You lied to her. You broke your promise so you are in no position to act honest. Look more closely, your weakness is my strength and you still have audacity to say that?"

He revealed the truth, the bitter truth I wanted to avoid. It stung me like a dagger piercing my chest with slow grazing. My blurry sight was not ready to take in the view of that man who stood against me.

A drop fell, maybe two or a stream until I drove myself stupid for thinking that perhaps Jungkook was actually improving, reflecting on his actions but here he was, after everything he promised me in forest or after coming back, he did it again. Does that leave me any option to forgive him again? No! Once a cheater, always a cheater.

Jungkook looked at me compassionately, with his heavy eyes but did no effect over my already swollen heart from its own disappointment. "W-Why?"

He was taken aback with that word, not willing to explain with head jerked to side, looking at the floor. A teardrop caught my attention, rolling down his cheeks while his ears turned red and his fists clenched then unclenched.

" I asked you something. Fuking tell me, WHY?!!" I yelled but also broke down into tears. The grip of guy behind me loosened a bit, unexpected.

"I... I am sorry."

Sorry? Huh! Not a simple word would heal me. Again and again doing the same thing isn't worth forgiveness.

"My oh my, your girlfriend is paying a visit." A heard a chuckle when another group of intellectual rivals showed up with aim directly on us. They had snipers and that laser pointed on us.

Heels. Heels clicked on the uneven floor as a woman or a cyborg came in front, standing beside him.

"What a lovely sight!" She clasped her hand on watching me being a captive of my own team. I was standing for myself, individually as I thought. She turned to Jungkook and said," Isn't it amazing? The thing I was supposed to do is being conducted by her own people. You lacked in protecting her."

"What do you mean?" I roared.

She smirked and grabbing his dropped down chin she yanked Jungkook's head. "This bish, he wanted to leave the organization and for what? A weak girl who was useless. Love made him a fool and losing a great brain is not worth it. He tried to fight against us when we threatened him with your murder and guess what? He gave up on leaving the group just to save you. He even invented the virus for us."

She started laughing like a maniac. My gaze fell on Jungkook who stood there doing nothing but stare at me with delicacy. He was forced and definitely regretting his deeds but he got tangled into something that took lives of millions by now. He was indeed blamed for the loss of population and it wasn't a minor deal.

She took out her pistol from the waistband, pointing at me totally unaware that the other troops who were scattered were now standing behind them, slowly killing her men from behind without making any noise at all.

"So should I kill her?" She poked her cheek before rolling her tongue on dry lips. "Neither I nor your team wants you alive. It's a useless life for a useless human to breathe. Let's finish you right here."

Olivia shoot me in my heart and Hoseok fired on her forehead, in instinct, simultaneously. Well, I wore jacket and she did not. I lived and she did not.

Hoseok smiled wide because the plan became successful. It worked. It was all planned, some parts discussed with me and some kept in dark by Seokjin, but in the end all worked out. But my gaze was still on the man who kneeled down and put his hands in air.

He didn't said neither I did but continued to stare into each other's eyes. He was looking like a lost puppy who was wondering if I would accept him again or not. If it was the last moment of his freedom or life? Judiciary decides.

But in my case, I was torn apart by the utter reality. He was now labelled as the sole person behind the release of virus and it did no justice for him. He was messed up because he discovered the virus but he was forced to do that. Real culprit was not alive so of course people lashed out on him.

On his way out, I saw him being shoved in a van to jail until the hearing which was to be held quickly with two days. I stood on the footpath, gazing him from far as his eyes on fixed on me. He was smiling, better than me in hiding his pain. I felt a huge pand of loss. I lost my love, my everything in a moment with no option but to respect the nation and the duty of citizen to not take law in my hands. I had to wait for the final statement of judge.

I was pulled into a vo ne crashing hug. I squinted my eyes because Jiyeon was determined to get it while few chuckles escaped from Taehyung's lips. "Any injury? Bruises? Anything? Are you hurt anywhere?" She asked in a breath. I shook my head and held her shoulders. "No, I'm fine."

"As if." He scoffed. I saw Kim's car stopping in front of us and Windows rolled down. Mr. Kim and Mr. Choi sitting in the backseat looked at us when we bowed.

"Is that piece of sh!t arrested?"

"Yes, Jungkook is already in prison." Jiyeon passed a smile to her father.

I was bewildered and just the tags they used to describe Jungkook disturbed my mind. He was already receiving so much hate and now these people called him traitor. Not fair! He was genuinely guilty and I hope people could see that instead of the blinding media which was bought by famous politicians.