Chapter 8: Home

Jayce and Sammie walked up onto the jet. Brad rushed to them both to help Jayce to his feet and closer to the med bay.

Jayce stayed quiet. He could see the disappointment in Brad's eyes after the path he had chosen.

Scarlett then walked in with a sigh and a slight smile, "I thought a Pierman could never be harmed."

Jayce chuckled as he grabbed his side. Brad looked back at her and stood up walking out of the med bay. Scarlett said nothing and sat next to Jayce.

"He has the right you know." Said Scarlett.

"You left us without trying. You gave up on the world. You gave up on us."

Jayce slammed his fist against the arm of the medical bed, echoing through the jet's walls.

"I know what I have done was selfish of me. Brad may hate me for the rest of my life, but I cannot lose any of you because of me." He sobbed.

Scarlett sighed and placed her hand on his shoulder with a smile, "We cannot do this without you, Jayce. That is what a hero does. We may lose the ones we are closest to, but that teaches us to fight on. I learned this after losing my father and mother. Kade had to help me through it and get past all of it."

Jayce sighed as he looked up and laid his back against a pillow behind his back. Scarlett then watched Sammie roaming around the jet curiously.

"What do you know about the kid?" Asked Scarlett.

Jayce smiled as he looked at Sammie, "I am not entirely sure. Although, she seems so familiar."

Scarlett looked back at Jayce with a questionable look in her eyes, "What do you mean?"

"She was being attacked by a shadow walker and when she woke up from me bringing her in to aid her, I could feel something about her. Like I had when we first met."

Scarlett looked at Sammie then whispered, "It can't be."

"What is it?" Jayce wondered.

Scarlett's voice then shuddered and with a sigh she looked at Jayce, "My mother told me about a younger sister that was lost moments before the reckoning. I believe Sammie is my sister."

Sammie then looked at Scarlett not knowing who she was and walked into the med bay with a sparkling smile.

"So, this was your past?" She chuckled.

Jayce smiled and nodded.

Scarlett would not take her eyes off of Sammie. Sammie then looked up at her awkwardly and raised a brow.

"I have to go." Scarlett then stood up and walked away from Jayce's medical bed.

"What was that about?" Sammie asked.

Jayce shook his head, "It's nothing to worry about. Something tells me we will find out later."

Brad then passed through the doorway and took a short needle as he watched Jayce jump a foot away from it. Brad flicked the needle and started filling it with healing substances.

"Brad," Jayce looked at Brad while trying to ignore the needle, "I never meant to leave the way I did. I could not let anything happen the way it did with Ty and Stryke."

Brad scoffed and stuck the needle through Jayce's side. Jayce felt the pain and yelled as he quickly pulled the needle from his body.

"Say something, Brad." Jayce begged.

Brad then dropped the needle onto the counter and sighed feeling a tear running down his cheek.

"You gave up without giving it a single thought." Said Brad.

"You left us only for us to get ambushed by Angelina. You made your choice when you fought Drago."

Jayce sighed, "I was given no other choice either way."

"You made your choice!" Yelled Brad, "Scarlett wanted to make sure you were safe, so we found you and for what? Just so you can abandon us once again?"

Scarlett then entered the room and looked at Brad, "Get us prepared to take off."

Brad growled and walked out of the room heading toward the front of the jet. Scarlett shook her head and walked over to the counter to look at the needle. There was red blood up on the tip of it that looked like a bright blue light.

"Jayce, have you been feeling different lately?" She asked.

Jayce shrugged, "Why?"

"After leaving us? Weakening or slowly losing any sort of focus?"

Jayce then sat up, "Actually, yes I had felt it once before. I had dreams that would keep me asleep then I would have trouble waking up."

Scarlett then held the needle over a small glass plate letting the blood slowly drip down and hit against the plastic. The blood stayed red for a matter of seconds then turned dark blue and beginning to darken causing her to gasp.

She then placed a glass dome over it quickly, watching the blood becoming aggressively mad.

Jayce watched it with fear in his eyes, "What the hell?"

"That is not normal, Jayce. Luckily, it is only a short live one. Whatever it is, it shows darkness and if you allowed it to stay inside your body, it could have consumed you. You would not be yourself anymore."

Jayce then watched her take the glass dome and placed it into a giant suitcase locking it tight. Jayce looked at Sammie eyeing a photo of him, his mother, and his father with an old-fashioned wooden house behind them.

"This was your family?" Sammie smiled as she looked over to Jayce.

Jayce nodded.

Sammie then put the photo back down letting out a soft sigh. Jayce sat up an inch with a loud groan feeling the pain.

"I never really got the knowledge of your past, Sammie." Said Jayce.

"I never had a family," She began, "I was only a baby when somebody found me at an old doorstep of a young lovely village couple. They knew nothing about me or who dropped me off. They thought it was a baby needing a loving home. Until the older I had gotten, it turned into a bad life for me."

"What happened?" Asked Jayce.

Sammie sighed then her voice shuddered, "One late night, there was some men killing and taking everything in the village. My parents, Maye and Josh, barricade our home to try and keep them out from trying to hurt them. Or me."

She then sat down in a chair next to Jayce with her bow on the counter, "they told me if the men get through this door, I was to hide no matter what happens. I begged them, 'No, please do not let me watch you die.' my mom told me it was okay. So, I did and as the men beat down the front door and entered the home, one man grabbed my dad slamming him against the wooden walls yelling. I watched and watched as they hurt him, and my mom was defenseless."

Jayce took a gulp, "They killed them in front of you."

Sammie cleared her throat and with a nod she wiped a tear away, "I remember my screams then the door where I was hidden was destroyed by me. I killed those men and the villagers in the process. Our home was burning. After all of that, I woke up in what was left of our home and my parents' bodies were not burn or scorned. I could do nothing but cry knowing it was all my fault for the deaths of everyone in that village."

The jet then began to rumble, as if something was attacking them.

Jayce slowly got out of the bed with Sammie helping him to the front of the jet. Scarlett and Brad tried starting the jet but only the sound of the engine began to sputter.

The jet then became quiet. The jets fuel was locked up and the engine would not start.

Scarlett gasped and saw Angelina and Blackheart standing in front of the jet. She felt cold and frightened.

"There is no turning back now, Jayce." Brad looked to him with the anger in his eyes.

The fear that he felt course through his body.

This was the start of a dark beginning.