chapter eight

The next two days passed without great incident, unless you counted Longbottom melting his sixth cauldron in potions.

Other than that things had been going surprisingly well.
Theo had nicely retuned to his usual self and there hasn't been much drama in the school.

It was finally the day of their lesson with Professor Moody.
They heard all week about his great lessons and teaching skills and it was finally their turn to experience it.

They made their way to the classroom eager to get good seats and thank God they did.

Amy and Iris were sitting in the third row in the middle and to their left was Theo and Mattheo and they had Blaise and Enzo on their right all getting their copies of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection.

There was hushed conversation in the classroom with everyone excited about what this lesson could bring.

Amy and Iris were halfway through talking about a concert they were planning to go to in the summer, when soon they heard Moody's  distinctive clunking footsteps coming down the corridor, and he entered the room looking as strange and frightening as ever.
They could see his clawed, wooden foot protruding from underneath his robes.

"You can put those away" he growled, stumbling over to his desk and sitting down, "those books, you won't need them."

They returned the books to their bags with the majority of the class looking excited.

Moody took out a register, shook his long mane of grizzled grey hair out of his twisted and scarred face and began to call out names, his normal eye moving steadily up and down the list while the magical eye swivelled around, fixing upon each student as he or she answered.

"Right then" he said, when the last person declared themselves present, "I've had a letter from Professor Lupin about thus class. Seems you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling Dark Creatures - you've covered Boggarts, Red Caps, Hinkypunks, Grindylows, Kappas and Werewolves, is that right?"

There was a general murmur of assent.

"But you're behind - very behind - on dealing with curses" Said Moody. "So I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what Wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with Dark -"

"What, aren't you staying?" Ron Weasley blurred out.
Moody suddenly smiled - the first time anyone had seen him do so

"You'll be Arthur Weasleys son eh?" Moody said "Your father got me out of a very tight corner a few days ago....yeah, I'm staying just the one year, and then back to my quiet retirement."

He gave a harsh laugh, then clapped his hands together.

"So - straight into it. Curses. They come in many strengths and forms. Now, according to the Ministry of Magic, I'm supposed to teach you counter-curses and leave it at that. I'm not supposed to show you what illegal dark curses look like until you're in sixth year. You're not supposed to be old enough to deal with it til then. But Professor Dumbledore's got a higher opinion of your nerves, he reckons you can cope, and I say, the sooner you know what you're up against the better. How are you supposed to defend yourself against something you've never seen? A wizard who's about to put an illegal curse on you isn't going to tell you what he's about to do. He's not going to do it nice and polite to your face. You need to be prepared . You need to be alert and watchful. You need to put that away, Miss Brown, when I'm talking."

Many heads turned round to look at the girl.
Lavender just jumped and blushed.
She had been showing Parvati her completed horoscope chart under the desk.
Apparently Moodys magical eye could see through solid wood , as well as out of the back of his head.