chapter fourty-five

MINISTRY SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORM DOLORES UMBRIDGE APPOINTED
FIRST EVER HIGH INQUISITOR

"A what now?" Amy asked, putting down her copy of The Daily Prophet.

"It's someone appointed by the Ministry to look around, Hogwarts in this case, and they have the power to fire someone who isn't meeting their standards." Enzo explained, not sounding too pleased about it.

"And whose thick enough to give it to her?" Blaise asked.

"That also means that she's going to be in all of our lessons, inspecting." Enzo added.

"Cant wait for potions." Iris said sarcastically.

"Yeah and we're about to be late." Theo said.

They all mumbled a little 'shit' and scrambled up and headed to the dungeons. However when they arrived there was no pink toad to be seen.

Amy took a seat next to Iris just as the bell rang. Papers flew towards each student and Amy recognised them to be their essays from the other week.

Amy's moonstone essay was handed back to her with a large, spiky black 'A'scrawled in an upper corner. Oh well, an 'Acceptable' is still a pass.

"How'd you do?" Iris asked. Amy lifted the paper up to show her. "Not bad." She said.

Iris' paper landed in front of her and Amy saw the "E" in the corner. She always was the smarter one for theory work, but in practical, defensive situations Amy is one of the best in her year.

"I have awarded you the grades you would have received if you presented this work in you O.W.L." Said Snape as he swept among them, passing back their homework. "This should give you a realistic idea of what to expect in the examination."

Snape reached the front of the class and turned to face them. "The general standard of this homework was abysmal. Most of you would have failed has this been your exam. I expect to see a great deal more effort for this weeks essay on the various varieties of venom antidotes, or I shall have to start handing out detentions to those dunces who get a 'D'".

Malfoy sniggered from across the room and said, "Some people got a 'D'? Ha!"

Determined to get a better grade, Amy read and reread every line of the instructions on the blackboard at least three times before acting on them. Her Strengthening Solution was not precisely the clear turquoise shade of Iris' but it was at least blue rather than pink, like Longbottom's, and she delivered a flask oh it to Snape's desk at the end of the lesson.

"Well, that wasn't as bad as last week, was it?" Iris asked, as they climbed the step out of the dungeon and made their way to their usual tree in the courtyard.

They all mumbled a 'no'. Once they arrived at the tree they sat down and placed their bags on the ground.

"I don't even know what the letters stand for." Blaise said.

"A 'D' is dreadful." Amy said, being glad she never saw that on any of her exams

"'P' is poor." Theo said.

" 'A' is acceptable." Mattheo said. "And 'E' is exceeds expectations." Iris finished.

"Oh.." Blaise said, "Well I got an 'O'"