chapter eleven

There was a pleasant feeling of anticipation in the air that day. Nobody was very attentive in lessons, being much more interested in the arrival that evening of the people from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang; even potions was more bearable than usual, as it was half an hour shorter. When the bell rang early, the group of Slytherins hurried down to their common room and deposited their bags and books as they had been instructed and rushed back upstairs into the Entrance Hall.

The heads of houses were ordering their students into lines. The group was ordered with Enzo at the front then Blaise, then Amy, then Iris, then Mattheo and Theo on the end

"Do try and look some what presentable" said Snape, unenthusiastically as he eyed up his students.
"Miss Parkinson, take that monstrosity out of your hair, if you are trying to get the attention from the Durmstrang students I would suggest a bag over the head".

Pansy's face turned a shade of red as she removed a large ornamental butterfly clip from her hair.

Amy and Iris turned to each other hiding their laughter.

They filed down the front steps and lined up in front of the castle. It was cold, clear evening; dusk was falling and a pale, transparent looking moon was already shining over the Forbidden Forest. Amy, standing between Blaise and Iris in the fourth row from the front, saw the first years positively shivering with anticipation.
"Nearly six," said Enzo, checking his watch and then staring down the drive which led to the front gates. "How'd you reckon they're coming? The train?"
"I doubt it." She replied
"How, then? Broomsticks?" Asked Blaise who was infront of Enzo.
"Not from that far away dipshit" Iris answered

They scanned the darkening grounds, but nothing was moving; everything was still, silent and quite as usual. They were starting to get cold. Amy wished they'd hurry up but she knew that the foreign students were bound to make a dramatic entrance.

And then Dumbledore called out from the back row, where he stood with the other teachers - "Aha! Unless I am very much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!"

They all looked around in many directions

"Is anyone seeing this shit?" Amy asked, unable to locate anyone

"There!"  Yelled a sixth-year, pointing over the forest.
Something large, much larger than a broomstick- or, indeed, a hundred broomsticks - was hurtling across the deep blue sky towards the castle, growing larger all the time.

"It's a dragon!" Shrieked a first-year, losing his head completely.

"Don't be a twat...it's a flying horse" said Blaise

"Yeah real mature" Enzo said to him and rolled his eyes

However Blaise's guess was closer....as the gigantic black shape skimmed over the treetops of the forest, and the lights shinning from the castle windows hit it, they saw a gigantic, powder-blue, horse-drawn carriage, the size of a large house, soaring towards them, pulled through the air by a dozen winged horses , and each the size of an elephant.

The front three rows of students drew backwards as the carriage hurtled even lower, coming into a land at a tremendous speed - then with an almighty crash, the horses hooves, larger than dinner plates, hit the ground. A second later, the carriage landed too, bouncing upon its vast wheels, while the golden horses tossed their enormous heads and rolled large, fiery eyes.

Now Amy had seen a lot of magical creatures in her time, but these were one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen.

Then the door to the carriage opened. A boy in pale blue robes jumped down from the carriage, bent forwards, fumbled for a moment with something on the carriage floor and unfolded a set of golden steps. He sprang back respectfully. Then Amy saw a shining, high-heeled black shoe emerging from the inside of the carriage - a shoe the size of a child's sled - followed immediately, by the largest woman she had ever seen in her life. The size of the carriage, and of the horses, was immediately explained.