chapter thirty-eight

When the students had finished eating and the noise level in the Hall was start to creep upwards again, Dumbledore got to his feet once more. Talking ceased immediately as all turned to face the Headmaster. Amy was feeling pleasantly drowsy now. Her four poster bed was waiting in her dorm, wonderfully warm and soft....

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of you attention for the usual start-of-term notices," Said Dumbledore. "First years ought to inks that the Forest in the grounds is out-of-bounds to students - and a few of our older students ought to know by now too," The group of Slytherins exchanged smirks.

"Mr Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four-hundred-and-sixty-second time, to remind you all that you must not be wandering the corridors out of hours."

"Right who's been doing that then?" Blaise asked, looking down the table accusingly. We all laughed at his actions.

"We've had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Gubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Sat at the end of the table, was a small women with short, curly mouse-brown hair in which she had placed a horrible pink band that matched the fluffy pink cardigan and matching skirt she was wearing. Amy took notice of her toad like face.

"She does not look like she should be teaching that lesson." She said.

"She looks like a toad that fell into way too much pink paint." Iris said as she too looked at the woman.

Dumbledore continued, "Tryouts for the house Quidditch teams will take place on the -"

He broke off, looking enquiringly at Professor Umbridge. As she was not much taller standing than siting, there was a moment where nobody understood why Dumbledore had stopped talking, but then Professor Umbridge cleared her throat, "hem, hem," and it became clear that she had got to her feet and was intending to make a speech.

Dumbledore only looked taken aback for a moment, then he sat down smartly and looked alertly at Umbridge as though he desired nothing better than listen to her talk.  Amy had noticed that at lot of teachers at the head table looked confused.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge simpered, "for those kind words of welcome." Her voice was high-pitched, breathy and little-girlish and Amy felt a powerful rush of dislike that she could not explain to herself; all she knew was that she loathed everything about her, from her stupid voice to her fluffy pink cardigan.

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled. "And to see such happy little faces looking up at me!"

Amy glanced around. None of the faces she could see looked happy. On the contrary, they all looked rather taken-aback at being addressed as though they were five years old.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!"

Iris looked away and let out an attempted, quite laugh at this. This caused the rest of the group to try and contain their laughs.

"As a friend, someone should tell her that cardigan is not the one." Amy whispered causing her friends to almost laugh even more.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance." She stated, sounding more businesslike . "The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the wizarding community must be passed down the generations lest we lose them for ever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching."