K l a u s

A/n: Thank you for @crazy_writer28 for requesting and the kind words! It was fun writing this and I hope I made it to your liking :)

Summary: Klaus has a nightmare and you comfort him.

TW: Mentions of murder

. . .

From the fuzzy haze of sleep I find myself being pulled by frantic, irregular shifting of the bed's weight. It wasn't until a limb smacked my middle that I was fully awake, mumbling incoherently.

"Klaus?" Turning my head and forcing my eyelids apart I gaze upon the distraught man. Tossing and turning, a sheen of sweat appearing on his forehead and furrowed brow.

His stirring intensified- whether or not it was hearing my voice that caused it I didn't know. Various groans and cries grew louder until he was gasping and writhing.

"Klaus? Klaus, wake up!" Instinctually I began shaking him awake by the arm. As soon as our skins made contact his eyes shot open and it was luck alone that made him miss clawing my face.

"WHERE IS HE?" Wild, gleaming eyes darted across the room with a horrid mix of malice and terror, not even registering me for a good minute until they did find me. It was almost worse when he seemed to recognize me really, he only stared. For what seemed to be hours he simply stared at me, mumbling incoherent words and breathing as though it were a physical struggle.

"He's... Mikael... where... and then he... is he hiding?...no..." 

I didn't know how to respond, and so I simply watched, stiller than a deer in headlights (although in hindsight I'm sure he fit that picture more than me). No movement or sound, even slowing my breath. Once he stopped mumbling and his breathing soothed some, I began inching my fingers up, holding a single right hand palm-up.

"Klaus."

The man began crawling across the bed, sitting right in front of me. He didn't seem sure where to look- my eyes, for my intention, or my hand for my action.

"Y/n." 

I simply looked down at my open hand then back at him. He seemed to take the message, placing his hand in mine. 

"What happened?"

"Same as usual." He stared at our hands. His face, once contorted in agonizing fear, was now devoid of anything. 

"What do you need?" I kept my voice quiet and unassuming.

"Stay here. Please."

I hummed, moving to lay down on the bed and patting the space beneath me. He took it, pulling my body closer. His fingers traced my arm, from my wrist to my shoulder and up to my neck, a single index finger on my pulse point. 

I'd seen this action enough to understand it wasn't a threatening one. His nightmares, as of late, often consisted of the murder of various characters in his life. Mikael always frequented these nightmares starring as the murderer. Keeping a finger on my pulse was his way of reminding himself of reality.

"Y/n?"

"Yes?"

"Say it again."

"I'm here, Klaus."

And here I planned to stay.

. . .

A/n: OKAY it's been a hot minute since I've written anything so I am not entirely confident in this but here ya go, hope you enjoyed :)