Prologue

Prologue

Arisu POV

My name is Sakayanagi Arisu and there are two things that I would like to share with you before I begin my explanation: I love my brother, Ayanokoji Kiyotaka. Six years ago, my father took me to a facility run by his former sensei where I saw Kiyotaka for the first time. 

To put it simply, my brother was incredible. I watched as the manufactured genius completed tasks that would have been difficult for an adult as though it were nothing but a boring annoyance. 

Complicated mathematical equations, multiple languages, memory tests, martial arts, he had completed every task put in front of him with that same apathetic look on his face. 

I watched him play chess against a ranked grandmaster and thoroughly defeat him while his opponent stared at him bewildered as though he couldn't believe what he was seeing before his eyes. I understood exactly what that man was thinking and it was on that day that I fell in love with chess and vowed that when I had got home, that I would study the game to its most intimate foundations to one day hopefully challenge this laboratory rat.

I envied him. He was in a place that was solely catering to his education, a facility where its sole purpose was to make him the most complete man that could be produced. 

He was incredibly handsome, well built from all of the rigorous training that they put him through and with a mind that would make me; a true natural born genius, hungry with absolute envy. 

It wasn't until later on that day that I came to a horrifying conclusion and I can vividly remember the look of pure disbelief on my fathers face as he turned pale in realization. 

The conditions that they had made this poor boy that would later become my brother lived in were the most horrifyingly heartless conditions that anyone can be put through and it was disgusting to discover. To think that the boy who I had come to admire and envy in such a brief period of time lived like this was... unthinkable.

The explanation behind the theory was terrifying in and of itself, but the manner in which it was delivered was even more bone chilling as my fathers sensei had explained in the most matter of fact manner. It was as though he were describing the decorations of his home.

"Complete sensory deprivation," Ayanokouji-sensei explained. "The hypothesis is built on the white room principals rumored to be used in the United States and Iran. The theory we tested was that if in early childhood, an adolescent was put in an isolated environment, we can induce a state of hyper-focus."

"From here all stimulants are given their maximum attention span," He continued. 

"By completely depriving the subject of color, sound and physical stimulants, literary and kinetic tasks are treated as rewards." Ayanokouji-sensei explained while indicating a timetable shown on a large screen mounted to the wall.

"Therefore on that basis, the subject would dedicate their utmost to increase a reward based feedback loop, becoming hungry with tasks and objectives to be given at a more frequent capacity. The results are staggering, the teaching staff here are astonished with his growth." He finished with an arrogant smirk.

"How fascinating," My father said while scratching his chin. He had a look of complete composure, matching the energy of the man next to him. "How many are able to produce results that mirror the child that we have just seen?"

"None," Ayanokouji-sensei replied nonchalantly. "He's the pride and joy of the white room. No other has been able to replicate his results, we are in the process of tweaking procedures for the other subjects of other generations. This however, is proving to show diminishing returns, the other generations have not been able to match him even when we give them the stimulus of competition using his achievements as a baseline. It is a rather unfortunate set back."