Chapter 40

"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, I swear on my life if another flower delivery comes through that door..." Arisu huffed with annoyance.

"Just let me enjoy this a little bit. I was worried, I missed you." I said while stroking her hand with my thumb.

I was coiled like Usain Bolt the moment that the bus had pulled in early in the morning, taking us from the port back to the school. Honami had noticed, soothingly rubbing my knee the entire trip and telling me to be patient. Mako was once again sitting next to Eiichiro, laughing at my restlessness the entire time.

"Hey, Ayanokouji-chan. What's it like dating a siscon?"

"Leave him alone, it's really sweet..."

"Siscon isn't even the word," Eiichiro muttered under his breath.

I didn't chime in. I didn't even fight back or refute anything. I was too distracted, too excited. I just wanted to see Arisu recovered and safe with my own eyes. The moment we were dismissed, I bolted straight to the infirmary. The moment I opened the door and saw her sitting up in her bed, staring out the window at the morning sun I was relieved. When she saw me in the doorway she smiled.

Class battles didn't matter. Whatever happened on the island or on the ship was irrelevant. It was part of our relationship, whatever happens during the battle didn't matter once the war was over. I forgot everything this smug little schemer had done the moment that I saw her raise her arms, beckoning me for a hug.

At least, that was the case for me.

I hadn't left her side for the entire day except for going to the bathroom. I ordered lunch, ordered Arisu's favorite cakes only for the staff to take them away. Chastising me for being irresponsible, I was willing to bet that the fat pig who told me off and took my Arisu's cakes was stuffing her face in the lunchroom. A fact that I shared with Arisu only for her to laugh at my childish outburst, assuring me that it was okay.

So instead, I spent points on bringing in flowers and making sure every inch of Arisu's room that was available was stuffed to the brim. It looked like a jungle, a myriad of colors from vibrant reds and oranges to exotic pinks and purples. A part of it was for Arisu, to make up for my selfishness and her misfortune. Another was to stick it to the land whale who stole my Arisu's food.

"So, what are your plans tomorrow? Surely you don't plan to hover around my bedside for the remainder of your summer break."

"Why not? I get to stay here and do nothing and annoy you at the same time. You can see me enjoying lazing about and you can't do anything to stop it or leave. Win, win for me."

"Do you want to be single again? I'm certain that your girlfriend will have something to say about you being here for every waking moment until I'm discharged."

"She thinks it's sweet." I said with a shrug.

Arisu shook her head in exasperation but she didn't look as though she were angry. Rather, she was smiling fondly. I'm quite sure that my choice in partner was one that she supported, she seemed to like Honami quite a great deal.

Words really couldn't express how happy I was at the moment. Not only did I miss Arisu but I was scared. Scared that my actions and my selfishness had caused her ailment. Worried that something could have happened to her, something permanent. Perhaps even...

It doesn't matter, she's here and she's safe. The fact that she's almost ready to be discharged fills me with happiness. If only that wooly mammoth hadn't stolen her cakes.

It was nice being here, just enjoying Arisu's company. Even after the conclusion of the Zodiac Special Test, I felt as though I was in a state of constant stress. The prying eyes were unnerving, at least here I could hide out and not have to worry. Neither of us checked our phones, simply content to be in each other's company once again. Despite the surroundings, it was almost like the time that we spent in the manor.