Chapter 45

A/N: While I was writing this parts of my PC died. I ordered new parts that are coming soon but I had to finish off this chapter in small chunks because my CPU is overheating.

It's short and not as good as it could be since it was written in 15 minutes chunks but it'll have to do.

Sorry about this, thanks to Crimson celestial and inferno for editing this since I couldn't do it with no computer.

Thanks

While the night at the karaoke ended not long after the game, I ended up spending more time with Class B after we left. It wasn’t much, just staying with them as a group in the park near the dorms and listening to them talk.

It meant that all of us stayed out well into the night until we were all too tired to keep the conversations going.

I enjoyed my time with them, they were a nice group. It made me consider certain things. How different would my school life have been if I was put into Class B rather than Class D. Would Eiichiro and I be happier if we were there together from the start? I doubt that he would have even thought of being a leader if we were there instead of in Class D. He only took the role when it was clear that no one else would do it and that I wasn’t interested.

One can’t change the past, a man’s pride is his downfall. Eiichiro set upon this path and he wasn’t about to back down now that he was there. I had the points to move both of us if I wanted to but there was no point in doing that. He wouldn’t leave his leadership role to play a follower in Class B anymore. He’d already tasted the forbidden fruit of competition and responsibility. He was too invested.

No matter how pleasant I found Honami’s classmates, I wouldn’t leave our Class. I had people I was fond of. That would go down the drain if I left. Besides, there was something about Hoshinomiya’s actions. They were too desperate. Her slip-up was legitimate. I had a feeling that there was something coming soon that would allow me to steal someone from another Class, and she was scared.

We ended up staying out far later than I usually do. I was a little surprised when they invited me out to the pool with the rest of Class B. I was already sick of the pool. I spent far too much time on the ship around the water, but I decided to go anyway.

Under normal circumstances, I would never reveal the White Room of my own volition, not even for the purposes of a game. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision to do so but I had my reasons.

Deceiving with the truth was something I used from time to time. Machida was one of my other most recent examples. If I were to tell the story of the White Room without proof to someone whom I’d only just met, they’d look at me as if I were some sort of low-grade fiction writer. Atrocities like that were hard for everyday human beings to fathom. For good people who followed the rules of society, places like the White Room were divorced from reality.

One reason was to confirm my suspicions about Himeno. And her reaction spoke volumes. I’m not sure how or why she knew but she does. It spoke to her behavior almost perfectly. If any of the others reacted similarly, I’d know they knew as well. The rest were so quick to gravitate toward my other two stories that it was obvious they had no idea. To the average person, the answer was obvious.

The other reason was that I’d noticed the growing number of people who glanced at me the same way Himeno did. Largely the third years and a small number of second years, but barely any first years. There was no use keeping a bullet in the chamber when you’re about to die anyway. Secrets can only be weaponized if you have a fear of them coming out. Something that I didn’t have. This secret won’t remain hidden for much longer, what’s the point of fighting it?