Chapter 1

A/N: A BIG THANK YOU TO INFERNO3054 FOR PROOF READING THIS AS A BETA BEFORE IT'S PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP

"This is beyond stupid," Arisu seethed. "Why on earth are we in separate classes?"

I sighed for what felt like the third time in the twenty minutes. My sister Arisu has been ranting ever since we found out that we were separated into different classes. Despite the fact that we were only separated by a few walls, it seemed to really bother her.

Today was my first day as a student at ANHS and to be frank, it was actually my first time attending any school ever. A little over six years ago I lived in an educational facility that had been started by my biological father.

It was shortly after a visit by my father and sister to that place that I had been rescued. At the time I didn't think of it as being rescued, I barely knew what was happening outside of the silent walls that confined me.

When the door to my room had opened I was curious as to what was happening when I saw a soldier. After the soldier had identified me, he stayed with me keeping me company while his team was busy outside. It was the first time that I had been in a social interaction.

Not long after I was taken to the place that later became my home. I had no idea how to interact with Arisu or my new father and had been slightly apprehensive at first. I constantly studied their actions, wondering what their motive was.

How was I going to be used by these people? I had asked myself. I strategize in my mind constantly on how I could turn their objectives in my favor whenever I was with them.

At the time I could see the pity in their eyes when they looked at me and confused it with guilt. Guilt that they were being kind to me at the moment only to turn me over to whatever government official there was that wanted me under their thumb.

Despite being on guard, they were constantly kind to me. Arisu was like a little puppy with a wounded leg, constantly following me about and wanting my attention. Always asking me if I was okay, if I was having fun. Sometimes she would ask if her presence annoyed me with downturned eyes.

After a year of their behavior never changing I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. I genuinely enjoyed their company and to this day I will never forget the beaming joy that was palpable when I gave Arisu a heartfelt smile for the first time.

It was through their kindness and selflessness that I learned to do the same for others.

Now, I'm free. No more tutors, no more lessons or interruptions. Sure, I'll have to attend classes that cover material that I learned as an adolescent but it doesn't matter.

Here I can be normal. I can finally experience something new, I can finally be a nobody.

"It'll be fine," I laughed, patting the hand holding onto my arm. "We'll still be in the same building and I can make dinner for you when the day's over."

"Please for the love of God no," Arisu said with a grimace.

"I've been practicing," I frowned. "Matsuo said I've improved a lot."

"Of course he would say that," Arisu rebuffed. "He works for us, he has to tell you whatever rubbish will make you happy."

We made the turn into the corridor where our classrooms were located and I led her to the room labeled 1-A. Before I could open the door for her she tugged lightly on the arm that she was holding.

"You don't have to walk me in there, I am not a child," Arisu admonished.

"I know, what does that have to do with anything? We're the same age."