Chapter 23

Last night wasn't fun, I was teased by my backpack when we parted with Honami. The teasing wasn't the problem at all, it was kind of nice to have a playful Arisu back. High on playing chess again and having something to do other than sit and rely on people, she was in great spirits. She spoke very highly of Honami and I could understand why as they seemed to have bonded during the trip.

Honami was incredibly attentive with Arisu and the best thing about it was that it wasn't for show. It would be obvious if it was, when doing anything for her she wouldn't suddenly look around for me to see if I'd noticed like Kushida did. She didn't point out anything she did and she seemed to do things just on instinct alone, never needing to be prompted.

I was expecting to have people annoyed with me about missing roll call but I wasn't expecting the explosion that I got when I got back. Yamauchi seemed to have been waiting for this opportunity, he didn't miss his chance the moment we were back. As usual, he seemed to have a skewed view on just how much he actually contributed.

I myself had scouted the island with Koenji first thing when we got on the island which got us eight points worth of fishing gear, pitched our tents in the initial set up, fished and got us the leisure set. Yamauchi got berries and perved on the girls while they swam in the river. I didn't see how this tipped the scales in his favor but in his mind he had been the model of contributions by comparison.

Well I attempted to fish, I hadn't actually caught anything yet in that stupid river.

So when we got back and he got in my face I was fully intent on smacking him and helping him get to sleep early tonight. It wasn't an act of violence, it'd be assisting a classmate of mine with getting an early night of rest. Good God, I really was doing a lot of work this trip.

Stepping in poop really was a bad omen, I was later forced to watch something so disgusting that I prayed I'd never have to see it again.

"Where the hell have you been!? We lost five points because of you! You said you wouldn't miss any roll calls if Sakayanagi was allowed to stay!" Yamauchi shouted, walking straight to me.

Before I could say anything he pointed his finger directly in my face, I wanted to reach out and snap it.

"We've been working our asses off to save points while you've been doing whatever the hell you want. As soon as we got here you've been making demands of us when we're trying to save points! You've been strong arming us into accepting your shit while the rest are trying to make sure we get some points for next month!

"Not all of us have a sister in Class A to sponge points off! Are you going to pay us all for the points we're going to miss out on?" Yamauchi exclaimed.

Before I could say anything a small hand patted me on the shoulder, calming me down. I hadn't forgotten she was there, it was one of the only reasons I didn't lash out right away. Turning my head to Arisu she looked exasperated with me.

I still hadn't told her, she was teasing me about the fact that Honami and I seemed closer and about the fact that we were seemingly joined at the hand ever since we came to the island. It wasn't that I was hiding it, I was just waiting on a chance to tell her. She just kept rapid firing teasing jabs not letting me get a word in. Before I knew it we were back at the camp and I was planning to tell her when she was done having her fun.

I did miss the roll call though even if it was for a good reason. I was prepared to just tell them why and knew the chaos would get me out of it. The girls loved good gossip, if they heard that the reason why I missed the roll call was a confession I'd be saved by them. Most of the boys would be annoyed, all of them save for Hirata were single and would give anything for a confession from any girl.