Chapter 44

It's 6:00 pm and they decide now to shut off the water to the school, giving all of us a small amount to hold us until the next day with next to no notice. What kind of idiot is running this school? What the hell is the Student Council doing?...

...On second thought, never mind... we had plenty of notice.

I had no idea what I was going to do, the ramifications of a lazy lifestyle. People had been so used to me saying no to doing things that I haven't been invited to anything at the moment. While this would be music to my ears under normal circumstances, I had nothing left to do. With all of the free time we had over the remainder of the summer holidays, I'd already read everything I have. It was boring playing video games by myself lately and Eiichiro was studying with Sudo. I'd rather saw off my own arm than hang out with Yamauchi and Ike. Sotomura and Hondo were likely options but for some reason, I wasn't feeling it tonight.

It's incredible, water wasn't really something that I was desperate for, and yet it had flummoxed me. It was the fact that something was taken away from me that threw me for a loop. It's not like I was desperate for a shower or anything, the inconvenience in and of itself had simply annoyed me for no apparent reason.

With the water shutting off there really wasn't any other option. Time to see what the others were doing.

Honami was with Class B having a karaoke team-building night of some sort. Now that she wasn't the leader anymore, Honami didn't really have any authority to bring me there. Rather than cause a problem by asking Himeno and then nagging me to come along, instead, she decided to go solo since we didn't have any plans.

That was something that was different about our relationship in comparison to others that I'd seen around the school, we didn't seem to feel the need to be joined at the hip at every waking moment. To be fair, aside from the physical side of things, very little had changed from when we went from friends to lovers.

Honami still did my laundry, still did almost all the paperwork. Still reminded me about important dates and nagged me when I missed things or got unreasonably lazy. The old married couple as Mako had affectionately dubbed us.

The name seemed to fit us, it stuck and spread amongst our mutual friends. Eiichiro was having a field day with it. Once the rest of our class had heard the nickname, the rest of them followed suit, snickering as the two of us passed with mocking grins.

It fit quite well, it wasn't until the observation was made that I begrudgingly admitted that Mako did seem to have a point. Many of our home dates were quite... old-fashioned. I'd watch anime or read the latest volumes only to scream at the TV or book in frustration whenever the MC did something stupid. I also learned that Honami had hobbies that I never knew she had that really sold the whole 'old lady' vibe; knitting, sewing, and baking.

Definitely doesn't have the body of an old lady, but I digress.

It wasn't even a surprise anymore, whenever I'd yell at my TV while pointing my foot in frustration, Honami would simply chuckle and shake her head while continuing with her craft.

Despite all of this, I'm bored. I'd see what Arisu was doing but I was still stubbornly angry.

This fixation on competing with me, honestly I have no idea what to do. It's not like I can win either way anyway. I compete against her and she loses only for her to challenge me again. I let her win and she cries foul and throws a tantrum for going easy. What am I supposed to do? Why is it always what other people want? When do I get to be happy and content?

Why am I always living my life at the whims of others?

It doesn't matter whether it's the White Room, the government, or my sister. Everyone else selfishly forces me to comply with what they want. The only one who doesn't is Father but there's only so much he can do. It's getting annoying at best and infuriating at worst. I'd prefer if Arisu was able to beat me with her own skill, if only for her to finally let me be so that we can have a normal sibling relationship. It's not my fault that she continues to fail.