Chapter 34

Leaving the private pool with Class A was like opening a door to a parallel universe. Imagine opening the door from a stunned silent room and entering pure pandemonium. I wasn't even noticed as students stampeded through the hall and through the adjacent buffet area like zebras cutting through the sahara in utter panic.

I slipped through unnoticed and unbothered, making my way into the fire escape as discreetly as possible. The moment I entered the silent fire escape, the frenzy was drowned out completely as the door slammed behind me with a resounding boom.

Only then had I realized that my phone was erupting with calls and messages. My phone rang loudly, it echoed in the empty fire escape, my screen displaying Eiichiro's name. I rejected the call immediately before putting it on silent. Multiple alerts erupted on my phone, messages from Honami, messages from Eiichiro, messages from Horikita.

I noted them unphased before putting the phone back in my pocket, intent on beginning my search for my next target. As I was about to take my first step down the stairwell, I heard the faint sound of crying from above. The sobs were barely there, if not for the fact that the desolate fire escape was completely devoid of sound, I would have missed it.

Changing course, I ascended. As I continued to make steps up the stairwell, the sobs grew louder and louder. It wasn't until I reached the landing of the third floor that I saw the crumpled and beaten form of one of my friends.

Karuizawa's hair was down from the usual scrunchie adorned ponytail, messily falling down her body. Her face was covered in angry marks from being slapped. Her shirt was torn, buttons missing and her skirt was dirtied from the dusty floor of the concrete of the stairwell. Tears were falling down like waterfalls, her nose snotty and running. In her current state, she didn't even notice me approaching.

It wasn't until I was almost on top of her, squatting down beside her before she looked at me. Her watery eyes widened in surprise when she realized who it was. Not a moment later, she lunged at me and threw her arms around my neck, crying even harder with heaving sobs.

This was my friend, one of my dear friends. Yet right now I could offer no comfort, I had no empathy, no sympathy. In this state, she was simply a resource. I had time to rebuke myself later if need be, I didn't even have the capacity to do it at the moment. I simply stayed rigid and allowed her to cry and draw strength from me until the sobbing ceased and she calmed down.

She didn't let me go, face still buried into my neck as she calmed herself. Karuizawa didn't move from her spot, not wanting me to see her in this state but not wanting to be alone either. As heartless as it sounds, I didn't have the time for this.

"Who did this to you?" I asked.

Karuizawa didn't answer, she continued breathing heavily while hiding her face in the crook of my neck. I peeled her off me before taking hold of her chin and inspecting the marks on her face.

"Who did this to you, Karuizawa?" I asked again.

Again, complete silence. Despite the fact that I had a firm grip on her chin, she averted her eyes in shame refusing to look at me.

"Karuizawa. If you don't tell me who did this to you, I have no idea who I am supposed to be going after. Who did this to you?"

While waiting for an answer, I checked over her curiously. There was no heavy bruising on the face but she was hunched over in pain, more than likely they hit her in spots that could be covered in clothes.

Her ankle was swollen. Perhaps she tripped and twisted her ankle trying to get away from her. In my peripheral vision, I noted a camera that was pointed down from the corner above the door.