Chapter 12: "I don't want to fuck us up."

"Where have you been?" Laylah asked Veronica as she heard her entering the hall. Currently, Laylah was sitting alone in the living room while the boys were in Josh's room. She was on her phone but then glanced at Veronica and immediately knew she'd cried.

She got up in a flash and said, "Who needs to be castrated?" Veronica looked at her best friend, and she saw a fierce look in Laylah's eyes which made it look like she would actually chop Seb's balls off if Ver told her to.

Veronica smiled weakly at her and said, "It's nothing, Lay." Sitting down on the couch, Laylah said, "Well, it is definitely something, Ver, because you don't cry at the drop of a hat. You are strong. So tell me, was it, Seb?" Ver looked at her and then looked down, trying to contain her tears but couldn't, "I don't know what to do, Lay. So what happened...." She explained everything that happened between him and her before she got this upset, and Laylah confirmed, "So you have decided to draw a line?" Veronica nodded and wiped the stray tears shed as she had narrated the incident.

"Ver, I don't know what is wrong with him, but I have seen the way he looks at you. Goddamn it, he looks like a lovesick puppy when he follows you. But if you guys are just friends, the line should be drawn. You can't keep doing all that because then, you are the one suffering. I frankly don't know about him anymore. He is my friend, but as you said, he has never confessed anything but again, he hasn't even denied stuff. I think you guys should speak, Ver. No matter what, he is your best friend; if he doesn't understand what you feel or doesn't reciprocate those feelings back, it's okay... I'm here for you, but I think he deserves to know what's troubling you."

"I know he deserves that, but I don't want to spoil anything, you know? Me confessing stuff will make it so awkward between us. He clearly doesn't like like me, he can do so much bet-" Lay cut her off, saying, "I dare you, finish that sentence. You are the best anyone could ever do, Ver. First, get that in your mind. And it isn't clear that he doesn't like you... He is either thinking that best friends can do all cuddly bullshit, or he is just like you, trying not to ruin anything and failing because you guys are ruining right now. Ruining because of lack of communication is the most bullshitty way to part ways. At least have a clear idea of what he thinks. At least have a clear idea of what you both want. Don't be like this, Ver; it's always better to communicate than suppress your feelings about someone."

"What if-" Laylah cut her off again, saying, "Forget about the "What ifs." It's time you both fucking talk. So talk. If anything happens, and he hurts you, which he won't, but just in case, hypothetically, if he does, I will no fucking shit, castrate him."

"Lay, I know you love me, and you're saying this for me, but I won't let anything ruin us. I am just... taking a step back to get rid of my feelings because obviously-" "in snape voice," they both said in unison, then Ver continued, "he doesn't feel the same."

"Ver, I am sorry to say this, but, love, you are being foolish. He never ever said that he didn't feel the same."

"He never said otherwise, too,"

"Did you say otherwise, or have you even said anything about the matter?" Laylah countered.

Veronica remained silent.

"No, right? So why do you think he doesn't?" Laylah asked. Veronica frowned and said, "I don't want to fuck us up, Laylah. And I expect you to understand. I don't know how to talk to him. Getting rid of stupid feelings I have for him is the best solution that I see,"

Laylah knew better than argue with her. Veronica never cursed, and now that she did, Laylah knew that she was mad mad. Laylah sighed and said, "I am sorry... I... I should have understood. And, even though you don't want to hear this, I am just going to put it out there. Veronica Haynes, your feelings are not even a tini-tiny bit stupid. Don't argue with that, please. And no matter what, Ver, I will always be here, so if you need to vent or maybe not talk and just sit and stare into the oblivion, I am here. I love you, and don't you worry about him; if HYPOTHETICALLY he doesn't reciprocate those feelings, then love, it's his loss, like a BIG loss. PERIOD. Don't cry over him, okay?"

Veronica smiled at her this time, and it was a weak but genuine smile. Laylah smiled back and went in for a hug. They both shared a cute long hug. Then Veronica pulled back and said, "I am really exhausted from all the traveling and stuff. So, I'll see ya later?" Lay nodded; Veronica continued, "Have they told you anything about the rooms?" Laylah shook her head, saying no.

Veronica sighed and asked, "Let's go to where they are then; you know where they went, right?"

"Yupp, follow me!" Laylah strolled towards the room where she had seen the boys going to 'talk.' She was annoyed that they left her alone, but if she wouldn't be alone, Ver and her couldn't talk, so she let that slip. Veronica followed close behind her friend, and just as they reached the door and Lay was about to knock, they heard, "For god's sake! I cannot like Laylah. It won't end up well for any of us."

--x--

I hope you all enjoyed:)

Until next time!

- Estrel <3