Chapter 21: The Carter's

As they entered the mansion, Veronica and Laylah were greeted by the Carter brothers with sweet kisses on their hands.

Even though it wasn't a formal get-together, and it would have been more than fine to wear something more casual than a shirt and a pant, the guys had opted to wear that only. It was because of a bet. A silly but, to be honest, fun bet. The guys that is- Luca, Axel, Josh, Sebastian, and Theodore had decided when they were younger that when they met again, they'd wear formals. Idiotic, you might say, but it was fun. They had their reasons which were well... unknown, but hey, it was fun for them!

Moving on, Laylah was looking at Veronica with wary eyes. For like the hundredth time, Veronica was comforting Laylah and saying, "Sweetheart, you look good, and I know that you know that and you are concerned if you've overdone, but no. You haven't. Even if someone says you have, just tell them to frick off, okay?"

And yet again, it was the hundredth time that Laylah made the puppy face and thanked Veronica for always being there for her. Just the perfect best friends, weren't they?

As they walked into the house, even though the guys were meeting after a long time, Sebastian and Theodore acted very cold and fake smiled at the twins when they acknowledged them. It was weird. When the brothers turned around, Sebastian and Theodore's smiles had morphed into vicious, disgust-filled glares. And I swear, if glares could dig holes and shoot one in the head, Axel and Luca would probably be dead for the sixty-ninth time by now. Because each second, their glares just intensified, if that was even possible.

Veronica was then greeted by Natasha Carter, the mother of the notorious Carter boys. She welcomed her with a hug and said, "My my! Don't you look like an angel! Oh, sweetheart, you've grown up to be such a beautiful lady!" Veronica smiled at her and said, "Thank you, Ms. Carter,"

"Oh, it's Natasha!"

Veronica smiled again at her, and looking at Laylah; she said, "This is Laylah, my best friend,"

Natasha turned her gaze towards Laylah; she smiled widely at her and said, "I'm Natasha, Axel and Luca's mom. You look gorgeous, sweetie."

Laylah smiled back at her and said, "You too, Miss Carter, pleasure meeting you,"

Natasha smiled and continued, "I am so sorry, but I'm going to have to leave you ladies now; Devin must be waiting for me. Enjoy yourselves, and I hope to meet you both soon!"

Devin was Natasha's husband and Axel and Luca's father. A very joyous handsome man, no doubt, the brothers were so gorgeous. Natasha smiled at Ver and Laylah as they both smiled, saying it was alright, and made her way to the front door. She kissed Axel and Luca's foreheads, bid farewell to the other guys, and left.

As Veronica and Laylah were looking at each other, they heard someone coming from upstairs and looked up to see a brunette in a red dress and a blonde in a dark navy blue dress. Their dresses were gorgeous, but as they tucked their hair behind their ears, making their faces visible, the smile that had come on Ver's face quickly changed into an expression of confusion, anger, and irritation.

Mayah and Sylvie?!

Veronica and Laylah's eyes widened, and they looked at each other with the same puzzled expression.

As soon as they got down, Veronica exclaimed, "You!" Looked at the twins with a vigorous intensity. Mayah, who was busy straightening her dress, and Sylvie, who was busy trying to get something out of her head, looked up at the source of the voice and stood stunned.

What the actual heck? Why are they here?

As soon as Veronica was ready to pounce on the girls, Luca interrupted and said, "You guys know each other?"

Laylah said, clearing her throat, "Fairly,"

Luca said, "Well, did you know these two little demons are our sisters?"

"Demons indeed," Veronica muttered under her breath so that only Laylah could hear.

Laylah asked, shocked, "They're your sisters?"

"Yupp" was the reply she got from all the four siblings, and then Axel jutted in, "How do you know each other?"

"W-" before Veronica could even start her sentence, Mayah hurriedly said, "Beach. We met on the beach."

Sylvie added, "Yeah, today,"

Laylah raised an eyebrow at the girls' behavior. They didn't even acknowledge Sebastian and Theodore. Not that that was a problem. It was better that way. But it was suspicious. Very suspicious. After all not long ago, these girls were all over them. Okay, exaggeration, but you get it.

Veronica looked at Sebastian, who was looking at Mayah, and it seemed they were having a conversation. A secret discussion involving the use of eyes and frowns. She was beyond pissed. The two were getting close. Too close for her liking.

She took a deep breath and sighed, looking at Laylah, who was busy glaring at Sylvie. She shot her a dirty look and turned her attention to Veronica. And they had their girl conversation. They knew they were on the same page. It was indeed weird, awkward, suspicious, and most of all INFURIATING AS FUCK.

Josh stepped in and said, "I didn't know you had sisters; when did that happen?"

"Remember, when you guys left the last time, mom was sick, like vomiting and all?" Luca asked.

Josh nodded, humming.

"That was when they were happening. I mean, they were being developed in mom's uterus." He said and then muttered, "God, I need to know why I have to make shit this complicated."

When everyone but Laylah, who looked at him with a grin, looked at him puzzled, he said, "What I mean is, the vomiting was all because she was pregnant, with these two at that time,"

"Oh!" Josh said, shaking his head and chuckling softly at Luca's first explanation.

---

It was awkward after that. Laylah and Veronica exchanged knowing glances while Theodore and Sebastian were trying hard not to put the Carter brothers' heads through walls. They were flirting with Laylah and Veronica. Like flirting flirting.

As they sat at the dinner table, when Sebastian and Theodore moved to sit beside Veronica and Laylah, they were rudely told by the ladies, "Sit beside your lovely Mayah and Sylvie," even though the girls smiled sweetly at them. The smile was anything but sweet. It was fake but sweet.

So now, Laylah sat beside Luca, beside Veronica, to whose left was Axel. And in front of them sat Sylvie, Theodore, Mayah, and Sebastian.

As one half of the table was giggling and smiling, the other half was trying hard not to pounce on their friends, who seemed to be foes at this very point. If you haven't already figured it out, the giggling half was Veronica, Axel, Luca, and Laylah's half. Only these four seemed to enjoy the party, along with Josh, who sat at the front of the dining table.

As Axel leaned closer to Veronica's ear, Sebastian choked on his water, and everybody's attention diverted towards him except Veronica. She was still busy eating her food. She knew when to fall for his acts. She knew he hadn't choked for real; it would have been a dramatically great deal or else.

She continued digging in her plate without even blessing him with one glance of worry. The food was delicious, and Axel was helping her stay calm with his occasional playful remarks and bad puns.

Sebastian, on the other hand, was tormented. Did he regret pulling that little stunt with Mayah and Sylvie on the beach with Theodore?

Oh hell yes.

--x--

How do you like the story so far? Do tell me!

I hope you all enjoyed!

Thank you so much for reading!

Love,
Estrel <3