Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Jonathan Crane understood the importance of exact science. Timing is just as important as ingredients and he knew the Joker would have his head if he screwed this up. Though he knew that the Joker wasn't as big of a threat anymore. So it was a matter of playing his game for the time being. He was working on an amplified serum when he heard it, a soft click above him. So as not to tip off the intruder he continued to work, or made it look that way.
When Catwoman dropped from the vent just behind him the syringe was already in his hand. But the cat burglar was quicker than him, knocking it away with a swift kick before getting her whip around his neck and yanking him to floor with much more force than he thought necessary.
"Good to see you too, Ms. Kyle. Or is it Ms. Wayne now," he choked out.
The fire burning in her eyes nearly made him falter but he just smirked, the hair raising expression visible with his mask absent. He was smart enough to know not to move just yet so he stayed on the floor, staring up at her with his twisted smile.
"Where's the counter serum you bastard," Selina hissed through her teeth, pulling on the whip just enough to cut more air off.
"There.... isn't.... one," Crane gargled, barely getting the words out.
"What?"
"Besides you're playing right into his hands. Where's your little bubbly blonde friend hm?"
Selina's whip had unraveled from his neck in her surprise and his question sent a shiver down her spine.
"In the bat cave correct?"
"Shut up Crane!"
"I thought you wanted me to talk?"
He laughed only to be punched square in the mouth.
"Is that the best you've got Catwoman?"
~   ~   ~
"Kitty....?"
Catwoman didn't answer me and she was nowhere to be seen. Where the hell was I?
When I sat up the world started to spin causing my stomach to purge what little it contained. The shaking racked my body worse than before now and wrapping my arms around myself wasn't helping like I had hoped. Once I calmed enough to sit up again I tried to take in my surroundings but the room was dark, not even a window to shed some light. Just a weak flickering light in ceiling.  I started to move out of the dimly lit room, moving down the even darker hallway.
When I finally found more light my relief was short lived when the sight I was met with fully sunk in. My knees wobbled and I toppled over, the door frame catching me before I hit the floor.
"R-Red," I squeaked, barely hearing my own words.
Pammy was being held off the floor by a chain secured around her wrists. The only way I could describe how miserable she looked? A wilted flower... my usually radiant beauty looked so sad and worn down. I ran to her even on unsteady legs, tears streaking down my cheeks.
"Red!"
She didn't look up when I reached her and when I was close enough to touch her skin for the first time in so long I noticed her hair had been haphazardly chopped and dried blood was blotched around her body in several places with no specific pattern.
"Red? Come on Pammy please wake up," I whispered pleadingly.
Still with no response I tried to get the chain unhooked from around her wrists only to be yanked backwards by my hair. My back collided with the floor painfully and when my eyes snapped open to see who had the balls to do that, every drop of confidence and resolve fled my body.
The Joker stood over me with that sick disgusting grin, more malevolence in his eyes than there had ever been. I shook even more now, irrational fear taking hold of my body.
"Puddin..."
I was surprised he even heard me, his widening grin the indication that he had. Pulling me to my feet without a word, I was face to face with him again. Was... Was this real? Or in my head? Was this really even happening?
"You're wondering if this is really happening right now aren't you," he said with a slow, predatory chuckle.
"I..."
"You're really here Harley, I had Scarecrow track you down and some of the boys brought you home."
Home...? This wasn't home, being here with him wasn't home. Pamela... she was home. I stared at her now, my subconscious seemingly refusing to acknowledge him.
"Look at me!"
The commanding yell nearly made me jump out of my skin but I looked at him anyway.
"You're mine, Harley Quinn. Not hers!"
I felt something long buried starting to rear her head. Months in Arkham, rehabilitating gone just like that...
"Stop fighting it, Harleen. You know who you truly are."
My head pounded, a white hot pain radiating from the base of my skull. I couldn't wrap my head around anything, I couldn't logically think through a simple problem.
"Harls?"
The croak from behind me made me whip around. Seeing Pammy's gorgeous green eyes seemed to strengthen what little resolve I had left. Rushing to her side before he could grab me, I pressed my lips to hers the tears flowing more freely now.
"Red," I whispered happily.
"What are you- look out!"
I felt the Joker's hands on me, lifting me high off the ground before throwing me clear across the room. The wall taking the brunt of my body with a sickening thud.
"She's not allowed to do that anymore! You're mine!"
Now I really cowered like a terrified puppy, pushing myself against the wall as hard as I could as if it would protect me from him. It had never worked in the past why would it work now?
"And to prove you're mine... you and I are going to kill the tree hugger - together!"
My blood ran cold and I could only stare at Pam terrified. There wasn't much I could do. I was weakened and Pammy was so beat down she looked on the verge of death. When I got to my feet the Joker hit me square in the jaw, knocking me back down. It was obey or keep getting hit.... I met her eyes again, trying to convey everything I felt in that one look.
"Red..."