Chapter 15

Harley's POV

I don't think I could ever put the happiness I felt into words when Ivy agreed to stay the night. It felt surreal, her lying next to me in my bed. Maybe things could just stay like this? Oh how I wish they could... I had never felt such a sense of peace with her arms wrapped around me and our bodies tucked into the warmth of my sheets. As sleep took me, I chose to ignore the fact that Ivy was going to have to leave early.
But that peace was short lived, yet another nightmare ravaged my sleep. A scream tore its way out of my throat and I shot straight up, out of Ivy's arms. I pushed the palms of my hands into my eyes, as if it would cease the pounding in my head. Red's hand on my shoulder actually scared me, causing me to jump and turn to look at her with wild eyes. She herself looked startled, unsure of what the hell was going on.
"Harley, what's wrong," she asked, concern lacing her tired voice.
"I-I'm okay Red," I stumbled over my words as I stumbled from the bed.
Seconds later I was on my knees in the bathroom with my face practically in the toilet, my stomach violently emptying itself of its contents. Ivy was beside me, holding my hair back and gently running her hand up and down my back. I sank into her waiting arms, my body weak after the violent spasms.
"T-This is a little bit backwards, I'm supposed to be taking care of you for once," I muttered, trying to steady my shaky breathing.
"Seriously Harls, what's going on," Pamela asked, wiping my chin with the towel that had been hanging on the wall.
"J-Just a bad dream."
"A bad dream that leaves you violently ill?"
I nodded and she looked as if she wanted to ask more, but she must have thought better of it. The redhead just helped me up off the floor and let me lean on her as she quickly filled up the glass on the counter with tap water. I rinsed my mouth out before going back into my bedroom. As Ivy sat me down on the edge of the bed my phone screen lit up from where it sat on the nightstand. Pammy picked it up and handed my phone to me.
"Who'd be texting you this early in the morning?"
I was asking myself that as I opened up the text: Meet me in Gotham around midnight tomorrow. - Batgirl
I locked the screen and set it back down, the number had been unknown and I would imagine that if I texted it back, the message wouldn't go through. But I didn't really care about that, hopefully she had some good news about this damn toxin. Ivy had an eyebrow raised at me, a questioning look in her eyes.
"Wrong number," I mumbled, laying down with a groan as I started to feel light headed.
I knew Ivy had to have read the text when she picked my phone up and I just hoped she didn't push the matter. I didn't really want to talk about this whole Scarecrow issue, I hated thinking about it. She finally laid down beside me but when her breathing softened, I couldn't join her in sleep. I was too afraid to fall asleep...
When my alarm went off I was still wide awake, so I shut it off quickly and sat up. Part of me was really dreading this day. I wanted to know what Batgirl had found out, but for some reason had a bad feeling about going to meet her. I realized with a start that Ivy wasn't next to me anymore and this made me shoot to my feet. But my panicking was calmed when she came out of the bathroom. Pamela must have seen the fear etched on my face because she rushed to my side and hugged me, not letting go for even a second.
"What's wrong daffodil," she asked, gently stroking my hair.
"Nothing, I just got a little worried when you weren't in bed... I thought you left without saying goodbye," I said a little weakly.
"I wouldn't do that Harls, you know better."
Pammy kissed me on the forehead before getting changed with me watching her closely. This was what real love was right? What I felt for the Joker was not love, it was an obsession and I was merely his possession. What I felt for Pamela Isley was love, and it was love that was given right back in return. With a soft smile I changed into a button up blouse and black skirt. Ivy spun me around and kissed me passionately and when she pulled away, I pulled her back and returned the kiss, pulling her against me, my hands on her lower back. Finally pulling away, we were both left breathless but both of us were smiling.
"I'll see you this weekend Harleen," Pammy said softly before leaving.

The day wouldn't end fast enough, Janet had asked just what the hell happened in the office. I played dumb and acted as if I didn't know what she was talking about so she just sort of left it alone. Once I was done with work for the day, I didn't even bother going home. I wanted to avoid the prying I knew Rachel was going to do, I just wanted a clear head for my meeting with Batgirl.
Gotham seemed to be eerily quiet when I got out of my car. Something felt off about the city as of late, but I couldn't put my finger on it. B-Girl hadn't been specific about where she wanted to meet but I figured she would be tracing me as soon as I crossed the bridge into the city. And I wasn't wrong.
"I'm glad you decided to show up Quinn, I was a bit worried you wouldn't," the red headed vigilante said from behind me.
I turned to face her and all I could do was nod. My anxiety about the situation was just getting worse now, I hated being in Gotham now.
"Come with me." I followed her silently into an alleyway.
She put an arm around my waist and used her grapple thingy to pull us up onto the building. Batgirl set me down gently and then pulled a backpack out from under a pile of old wood. The girl pulled a laptop out of the bag and began to type away on it.
"Are you the brains behind B-Man's gadgets," I asked, stepping closer to her out of curiosity.
"No, not really," she said with a chuckle, before continuing, "Alright Harley, I ran tests on the toxin in your blood and in all honesty I'm not sure how you haven't gone completely insane with how long it's been affecting you."
I stared at her in surprise, and before a sense of fear could set in she pulled a syringe out of her bag.
"Batman and I worked on this all night last night."
With a smile she handed it to me but all I could do was stare at it.
"Is this really gonna help me?"
With a comforting smile she nodded and gestured for me to use it. Sticking myself in the arm, I injected the anti-toxin.
"I'll come by metropolis next week to check up on you."
As she took me down to the ground, I didn't feel any different, but I wouldn't know if it had worked until I made it home and got to sleep. If my mind was nightmare free for the night then I was okay. I couldn't help but smile the whole way back to Metropolis; having Ivy beside me was the only thing that would have made that moment better.
The next few days passed quickly and my nights were nightmare free. Things were looking up for me. I had Ivy back, the nightmares were over! I was happy again, and Harley Quinn wasn't really needed anymore. On a Friday, the night Ivy was supposed to come spend the night with me, Rachel was grinning when I got home from work.
"I found a place to stay! I won't have to be a burden to you anymore Harley," she said giving me a hug.
I was a tad bit confused, why did she think she was a burden to me?
"Rachel, you aren't a burden to me! You're a good friend, but I'm glad you're getting on your feet," I said with a smile.
The younger woman left, saying she was heading out with some friends. I showered and sat on the couch, watching TV while waiting for Pammy to show up. When she finally got there I couldn't be happier, I hadn't wanted to tell her about the nightmares induced from Crane's toxin, and now I wouldn't have to. I never thought I would feel the need to thank someone from the bat family, but now I had to be sure to thank Batgirl. Now my life could be normal again, with Pamela Isley by my side.
Ivy wasted no time in leading me to the bedroom and showing me just how much she missed me. We didn't sleep until well into the night but I didn't stay asleep for very long. I woke up to arms around my waist and I smiled, turning to face Ivy. Instead, I saw the Joker, his face disgusting and burned. The scream that ripped from my lips was ear splitting and I jumped back out of the bed, smacking into the wall.
"Get away from me!"
The fear was clear in my voice and tears began streaming down my cheeks, "Get away!"