Chapter 19

Chapter 19
"Bruce, it's me," I said into the comm unit in my cowl.
I was crouched atop a building across from the jester's apartment, watching the window for any movement.
"Is Quinn still a mess," Batman's deep voice came through.
"Yeah, I got her into her apartment but she's a blubbering mess. Nothing she's saying is making any sense."
His silence was a usual, but for some reason this time it made me shiver. I felt bad for Harley, I could see what she and Ivy had with each other. It seemed to have been keeping Harley sane to a point.
"Set up a camera so we can keep an eye on her. There's still things in Gotham to be sorted out. Scarecrow is still on the loose; Dent and Cobblepot have been causing problems with their damn turf war."
I frowned, knowing that to a point that Ivy going missing wasn't my main priority but something didn't feel right. Leaving Harley alone didn't feel right, what if the person who took Ivy came after Harley next?
"Bruce something doesn't feel right," I said softly, straightening up from my kneeling position.
"I know. I'll get Tim started on looking for Ivy. We've got a lot of work to do Barbara."
With that his comm cut off. I sighed in frustration, he was always like that, never letting any of us get a word in edgewise. I did as I was told, setting up a camera with a perfect angle on the apartment. With a running start I leapt off the building and glided down to where I had left my motorcycle. It was gonna be a long night, hell it was probably gonna be a long damn week at the rate this was going. But for Harley's sake I hoped and prayed we could find Ivy and fast.
-------------------------
Earlier That Day...

I walked into my offices trying my best not to think about the bad feeling I had in the pit of my stomach. Ever since I had pulled that joker card out of my baby's collar my mind been unsettled.
"Dr. Quinzel, how are you this morning," my secretary asked with that ever sweet smile on her face.
"Morning," I mumbled, not even realizing that I hadn't answered her question.
I sat down heavily in my office staring at the dark computer screen as if it had the answers to my problems. Ivy had seemed bothered by something as well though she wouldn't talk about it either, I could pull some psychiatrist tricks on her when she came to get me if she didn't open up. But then again Ivy was too smart for that. I sat down heavily at my desk staring at the wood top, still deep in thought.
"Woah, Dr. Quinzel! Come see this!"
With a heavy sigh I stood up and went back out into the small waiting room where the TV was on, playing the news. The headline was a car accident... but no, there was no way, that was Ivy's car... This was another nightmare it had to be! The ride to the accident site on my motorcycle did little to calm me down and seeing Ivy's car upside down and mangled only made it worse. When the Joker's voice came over the phone I felt reality hit me like a ton of bricks... It hit me that there was no way this was the toxin... it felt too real.
"Harley, who was on the phone," I heard Batgirl ask from behind me, but it sounded far away,
"M-Mistah J," I muttered, too quietly for her or Batman to hear.
"Get her home, Batgirl, now," Batman said taking his leave without another word to anyone.
The red-headed bat followed me on her own motorcycle but I wanted nothing more than to take off for Gotham and find Ivy before Joker did something fatal to my lover. I didn't even acknowledge anything the vigilante said to me as we entered my apartment.
"Harleen! You need to listen to me!"
"What B-Girl," I said weakly, slumping into my couch with a depressed frown.
"I said you need to call me if you hear anything. Batman and I will try our hardest to find Ivy. I swear to you we'll do everything in our power."
"I... I think the Joker has her," I finally said, meeting Batgirl's stunned gaze.
"No. That's impossible, he's dead. We all watched him die in that explosion."
"You and Batman know better than anyone that he never stays 'dead'. He just has a way of avoiding burning in hell like he deserves," I said getting to my feet and grabbing a bottle of Jack Daniels. Wine was a little too tame for a situation like this.
"Just be careful okay Harley?"
I just nodded not even paying attention to her climbing out the window. With the glass of JD in hand I went into my room and dug through a trunk that I kept on the floor in my closet. At the very top of all my old junk was a picture of me and Ivy close together, both of us holding bags full of jewelry and rare plants. I smiled softly, feeling a tear run down my cheek.
"That was our first crime spree," I said sadly before laying back on the floor, the picture flat on my chest and the cup of Jack Daniel's now spilled and soaking into the carpet.
~~~
"Oh Harley you've really outdone yourself this time! Mistah J will be so jealous when he finds out I stole that diamond he's always been wanting," I said before rolling and cartwheeling past the lasers that were protecting a whole set of diamonds at the end of the hall.
"Might as well take em all," I said with a childish grin.
With four diamonds in the sack I carried, there was just one left and I could get out in one piece. I screamed when the alarm sounded and put my hands over my head in a protective manner.
"Wait, gee Harls what are you doin?!"
I grabbed the last diamond and ran, right through the lasers since it really didn't matter now. Almost home free... SLAM I hit the ground hard, the diamonds spilling from my bag.
"Hey! What's the big idea," I yelled scrambling for the diamonds, part of me expecting to hear the familiar click of a gun's safety.
"I should ask you the same thing!"
I looked to the person I had so graciously crashed into and was taken aback. The red hair and leafy outfit stood out right away. Mistah J called her the hippie tree hugger, if this was who I thought it was anyway. I got to my feet, pulling my bag over my shoulder, before offering her my hand. Her green eyes stared at my outstretched hand, very skeptically I might add.
"Spread out! Don't let anyone past you!"
Uh oh...
"Come on!"
She finally took my hand and I pulled her off down a hallway away from the voices of Gotham City's finest. We stopped at the end of the hallway to listen, trying to gauge where the cops could be.
"Hey aren't you that plant lady... Poison Oakie?"
"Ivy, it's Poison Ivy," she hissed.
"Yeah, yeah sorry. Come on let's go."
I took off running, Poison Ivy close in tow. Just as I was about to go around another corner I was yanked backwards. Ivy had grabbed ahold of my jester hat and pulled, hard. She had pulled it clean off my head, revealing my blond hair. Her hand was over my mouth, her body pushing me against the wall as she watched the GCPD officers move unknowingly past us. Her green eyes met my blue ones for a split second then we were off yet again.
"Aren't you the Joker's squeeze," Ivy asked as we hopped into her car and sped away from the museum.
"The name's Harley, thank you. Harley Quinn," I said with a smile-
"Harley!"
Selina's voice ripped me out of my memory but I just rolled onto my side and wrapped my arms around the picture, holding it close to my chest like a child would a teddy bear.
"Harley! Come on I saw your bike outside! I know you're here," the cat's voice was growing ever closer.
"Go away Selina," I said, my lip quivering as tears threatened to spill.
I knew I had to be a pathetic sight but right then I couldn't care less, I just wanted my Poison Ivy back.