Chapter 22

I dropped Harley's bat after knocking out Nightwing, blowing my bangs from my face as I reached down to help her. "Hope you weren't planning on leaving me behind Harls." She ignored my question, brushing past me to grab her bat. I looked down to the ex boy wonder and moved him to a more hidden spot. Didn't need the thugs on Gotham to take advantage of the situation. And Bruce would give me an earful if I left him where he was.
"We have 'ta get moving! Penguin told me where we can find Crane!" She looked back to me with wide eyes. "Well come on!"
Why do I always let myself get dragged into these things? I sagged my shoulders, sighing heavily as I followed behind the blonde. It's not like I don't want to help Pammy, but sometimes a girl just can't catch a break around here. I quickly followed after Harley, the frantic jester was running on adrenaline. When she would stop? I'd have no clue. I just hope she will keep it together once we save Ivy.
~~~
Drip. Drip.
The heat in the room was unbearable. Every hour it rose by a degree, reaching close to 95 degrees fahrenheit at this point. I took slow breaths, trying any way to cool myself down but to no avail. The door creaked open, and in came that green haired bastard. He skipped with glee towards my direction, a pair of scissors in one hand, and a dripping blade in the other.
"Guess what buttercup?!" He laughed, placing the tools on the small table beside the chair I was tied to. My eyes lingered on the sharp objects, what was dripping off of the knife?  He pulled a small tube of liquid what seemed to have been out of nowhere, and placed it down in my view.
"You're letting me go."
"HA! Nice try, but sadly for you! You're not going anywhere, anytime soon." The Joker grinned. He called in a few of his henchmen, each bringing in various items. Today was going to be a very long day. I took a deep breath and clenched my teeth in preparation.
Several hours later, my body felt bruised all over. Few cuts around my legs and torso as I was cuffed to a chair which was now hanging in the air. I was huffing and puffing, trying to catch any air in my lungs as I could but every time I did, I wanted to scream.
He entered the room once again, circling around me as I was lowered slowly to the ground. My toes barely touched the floor. The Joker had that maniacal grin. "Boy don't you look like a mess Ivy! I must say, I am proud of my handiwork." He laughed in my ear. The sound making me wish I was deaf. "Oh? No answer?"
"Still... Irresistible. No matter... what you." Deep breath "Do." His grin turned into a sneer now. He grabbed a handful of my hair, twisting it around his fingers as he forced me to look at his face. I winced in pain, but my gaze did not falter.
"Hm... Well how about we give you a wee little makeover!" The sound of a blade caught my attention, and next thing I knew, his grip on my hair was gone. My eyes hesitantly went to his hand now. There was red locks still wrapped around his hand, he dropped it "Opps" then burst out laughing. I couldn't breath whatsoever, the shock and anger within me was reach near boiling point. He took advantage of the moment and placed the chair on ground finally. Preparing to move on to his next phase of this 'torture'.
I fought as hard as my body would let me, but I couldn't do anything. The Joker had his men pin me down as he ordered one to force some type of liquid down my throat. I gagged, trying to spit it out, but my head was tilted back. My throat was on fire, I couldn't do nothing! And the coughing was making it worse.
"What-" I gagged "What did you give me?!"
"Oh just a little salt water with a lil something special. Heard it was good for the likes of you." He tapped his chin "Or was that supposed to be 'bad'?" A shrug "Oh well, who remembers these things." He waved. "Can't wait for our next session!"
~
It's been almost all night and we still haven't found Crane. "Harley what if he lied to you?" I sighed, leaning up against the wall as I was catching my breath. We've been at this for so long, my legs felt like jelly.
"No! He has ta' be here!" The blonde yelled. I reached out for her wrist, pulling her to me as I shook her.
"You need to rest! You're going to get exhausted, and then won't have any energy to save Pammy!"
"But-"
"No Harley! At this rate you'll drop once the adrenaline fades. C'mon. Lets head back to your apartment and take a hour nap at least." She took a moment to consider my words, shaking her head.
"Okay. But only for a hour! Then we come back and find Crane." She growled, shaking free of my grasp. I sighed heavily, looking at my phone as I seen a message from Bruce. Great. Guess who's going to have to deal with a brooding bat when she gets back? That's right, me. I followed after Harley, wishing Batman would understand when I called.
After getting back, Harleen crashed instantly even though she fought her sleep. I stepped out onto the fire escape, being greeted by Batman and Batgirl.
"You know she shouldn't be out there."
"Oh don't give me that. You know how much Ivy means to Harley." I could have sworn I saw an eye roll! That or I really need some sleep... "Asking her not to do anything is like asking you not to be a brood." I saw a smile form on Batgirl lips as she tried to look away and hide it. I saw his face fall slightly in defeat.
"Fine. I see what you mean." Thank the heavens above! I thought it was going to take more explaining, but hey! Maybe I'm just lucky tonight.
"But how is her condition? Last I spoke with Ivy she was working on a antidote for Harley. Was she able to finish it?" Batgirl finally spoke, her eyes screaming in concern.
"I don't know. She's been fighting with me about resting. Maybe because she doesn't-" a scream cut me off and the three of us rushed back into the apartment as Harley was in a corner, bat in hand as she was swinging wildly. Then she was yelling nonsense. Batman tried to take the bat from her, but was hit. He managed to knock it from her grasp, pinning the crazed blonde to the wall.
"Harleen! Calm down!" I pulled him off her, pulling her tightly into a hug. Next thing I knew she was crying, repeating Ivy over and over again.
"Please tell me she's not dead Kitty..." she whimpered. I shook my head, shushing the Harley Quinn.
"No, no she's not." This wasn't good. After a hour or so of trying to reassure and calm down Harley, Batgirl had left to see if she could find Ivy's work on the anti-toxin. As Cranes toxin seemed to have becoming increasingly stronger. Soon if we don't find Ivy and get the cure, I could potentially lose my two closest friends.
Now Harley refused to sleep, and instead tried everything to stay awake. Batman had left to continue whatever it was he was doing, and now we were back at it again, looking for Crane. But when we felt like we were running in circles, Harley began to lose it. She decided to pay Penguin another visit, and this time she was ready to rip his head off. But he had more men to protect him this time, and was prepared for us to return. But with how the jester was doing both mentally and physically, nothing was going to stop her until either she found Pammy, or died trying.
"Ready?" A short nod, before we busted through the vents and on top of two men. Thing were about to get crazier than before. And boy, I was bit scared for the end results.