Chapter 13

Harley's POV

I didn't realize that I was holding my breath until Selina and I reached Two-Face's little hideout. I was so scared of anything happening to Ivy that I couldn't put it into words. Selina stopped the car a few buildings down from where Ivy was being held. As I climbed out my grip on my bat tightened and my jaw set.
"It'll be okay Harley, we'll get her out in one piece," Selina said as we began the short run.
I didn't say anything, I just focused on what we had to do. If Ivy was hurt I would kill every damn bastard in that place, screw my life as a 'normal' person. Ivy meant more to me than anything... But it took me leaving to realize it... I stood with my back to Selina as she picked the lock on a side door. Memories began playing in my mind, when the three of us ran around Gotham causing problems for B-Man and his little sidekicks as well as the GCPD. The memories brought a small smile to my face, I hadn't realized just how much I missed it...
Catwoman got the lock picked and we snuck inside. I had my bat out and ready, my grip on it so tight that my knuckles were white. Selina stopped so suddenly that I bumped into her, and before I could say anything she put a finger to her lips and pointed around the corner before putting up one finger again. I nodded in understanding, one guy - simple enough.
Selina pulled him around the corner and pushed him towards me. I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and slammed him against the wall. Putting my bat through a loop on the back of my shirt, I pulled my pistol free and pressed it to his chin.
"You have one chance to tell me where Ivy is," I said through my teeth.
"I ain't tellin' you shit you psycho clown bitch!"
"Name callin' isn't very nice," I said, driving my knee into his groin.
"One more chance is all I'm gonna give you, so you betta answer me!"
"Okay! Okay! She's in the storage room down that hall! It's huge you can't miss it!"
I used the handle of my pistol to knock him out before Catwoman and I took off for the storage room. As we got closer I heard a man yell something that sounded a hell of a lot like 'let go or I'll shoot.' This drove my legs to move faster and when I saw a man aiming a gun at Ivy, I didn't hesitate at all. I leapt over the railing, landing nimbly and lifting my gun and firing.
"Anyone else feelin' lucky today," I yelled, my gun still raised, and my accent coming out in full swing. Catwoman took down another thug behind me with a loud, painful thud.
"Harley!"
God her voice was like music to my ears. I wanted to run to her and hug and... kiss her! I had been a huge idiot for leaving her. But I had to remember, this was the last time this jester would be seen as such... At least that's what I kept telling myself. A door crashed open and more goons rushed in before Two-Face himself stepped into the room. A frown rested on my face now as I stared up at him.
"Aren't you supposed to be a good girl Quinn," he sneered at me.
"What's it to ya?! Shut it bub!" I took a shot at him and barely missed just before his men rushed Selina and I.
My bat came off my back and connected with a man's face, spurting blood every where. Adrenaline pumped through my veins, it had been a long time since I had done this but it felt like second nature to me. Catwoman and I were making quick work of Harvey's men and it felt great, it was so satisfying to break bones and cause a little bloodshed.
"One more step and she's dead!"
I felt time seem to stop as I turned to see Two-Face holding a gun to Ivy's head, who was down on her knees.
"Red!"
It took all I had to not lunge forward right then, I felt my heart pound in fear. The nightmares... They all came rushing back in one big wave. The death of Poison Ivy was something I so greatly feared it paralyzed me. I started to shake; what if he actually killed her? I don't think I could go on living if this world didn't have Pamela Isley.
"Oh Harley, how can you honestly help these two when they've been screwing behind your back?"
"W-What..." the word left my mouth in a squeak so quiet that I knew I was the only one to hear it.
Red's eyes widened as she glared back at Dent. I glanced over at Selina seeing that she was having a very similar reaction. My time as a psychiatrist at least taught me one thing, how to read people and their body language. They both had an almost guilty or caught look to them.
"W-What do you mean?" I finally spoke up; knowing full well what he meant.
My brain just wasn't working on all cylinders now, with that thrown at me and the exhaustion I was dealing with. I felt the wound in my leg start to throb all over again as if my body's senses were heightened all of the sudden.
"Oh? She didn't tell you," Dent tsked and mocked Selina before confirming what I already knew.
"Your lovely tree hugger and cat thief here, slept together and they didn't even bother telling you!"
My blue eyes met Ivy's and I saw the truth written all over her face and swimming in her eyes. I hung my head and shut my eyes tightly, feeling something in me start to snap, something was beginning to come unraveled. My heart felt heavy, I wanted to cry and scream all at the same time. How could they? How could they do that to me?! And Dent almost made it sound as if it had happened more than once.
I looked back up and glared at Selina. The look she gave me told me that there was a killer look in my eyes, one that was not there very often. Harleen Quinzel was starting to lose control and Harley Quinn was beginning to step in yet again. Anger, heartbreak, sadness, loneliness... So many emotions swirling around in my head right then - the emotions that I had felt so many times with the Joker.
"It this true?!" I snapped at her, starting to take a few steps towards her, fighting back tears that were a mix of anger and of sadness.
The gunshot that rang out seemed to snap me out of my murderous intent towards Selina. My attention snapped back to where Harvey and Ivy were. Seeing Ivy tumble down the stairs though only seemed to make my control slip again. I moved fast, leaping up the stairs as Dent tried to make a run for it. I front flipped up the last few stairs and brought my bat down on him with a sickening crack.
"Not so fast you bastard," I yelled, throwing the bat aside as I pulled my pistol free.
I aimed the barrel right between his eyes after rolling him over. Selina kicked him hard in the stomach from out of nowhere, grabbing my wrist as she straightened up.
"Leave it Harls, Ivy needs us- needs you," she quickly corrected herself.
I glared at her again and tore my wrist from her grip. My bat went back in it's place on my back as I approached Red. She started to say something but I stopped her, I didn't want to hear it. I just needed to hear from her...
"Just tell me if it's true, did you and Selina...?"
"I'm sorry Harley... We were drunk and drugged-"
I didn't let Ivy finish her explanation. I turned on my heel so fast that Catwoman didn't see it coming. My fist connected with her jaw so hard that it hurt my hand. She landed back on her ass and just stared at me in astonishment. I ignored what Selina started to say as she stood up, I just heard Ivy begging to get out of there. That's what was important right then. Red was hurt and we needed to get her taken care of. I practically carried her back to the car and to feel her lean into me the way she did made my heart flutter as she whispered, "I missed you..."
I stayed in the backseat of the car, Ivy's head in my lap as I put pressure on the bullet wound. I had thrown my jester mask in the backseat of the car, not really caring about where it landed. My jaw was clenched as I felt another nightmare trying to push at the fringes of my mind. I closed my eyes as I felt sweat building on my brow.
"Selina, can you please drive faster," I said through clenched teeth.
"Hold on," she said quietly before  putting her foot down.
When we got to the apartment I carried Red to her bed and patched up her shoulder. I told Selina to go away when she tried to help. As immature as it sounded I didn't want her near Red. I made a makeshift sling for her arm and opted to let her rest for awhile. I went into her bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror for a what seemed like forever. My gaze moved down to my shaking hands, covered in Ivy's blood.
Shaking my head as if to clear it, I ran some water over a rag and wiped the white makeup off. A frown was set on my face yet again and I walked out to find Selina seated on the couch. I put my back to her and sat down petting my babies.
"Harley..."
"Don't Selina. I don't want to talk about it," I mumbled, getting back to my feet and getting the boys to follow me upstairs.
I slowly walked into Ivy's Garden room, looking around at all her plants. I felt a sense of peace just standing there. The boys laid down at the door as I walked around, taking in all the green. Why had I left her, this probably would have been avoided if I had decided to stay with Red instead of going back to Arkham to be rehabilitated. I sat down against the wall, Bud and Lou curling up to me as I gently pet them.
After spending too much time thinking I went back down to the apartment. Selina was sound asleep on the couch so I went into Ivy's room and laid down on her bed with her. The boys curled up on the side of the bed, almost as if they knew that Ivy was hurt so it was best if they stayed down. I rolled onto my side and just watched Ivy sleep for a moment. I closed my eyes finally and drifted into a very fitful sleep.
"You're such an idiot Harley!"
Mr. J's harsh words rang out loudly in the room. I was on my ass on the floor, cowering before him as he ranted and raved, throwing things and breaking shit. I didn't even know what the hell I had done to piss him off...
"How could you help them?! Why not just leave the damn tree hugger to die like you left me to die?!"
His purpled gloved hand came crashing down on my cheek so hard that he knocked me sideways a few feet.
"They fucked each other and never told you! They fucked while you spent all your nights alone with your fears and with me! But you deserve it Harley! You abandoned her! More importantly you abandoned me!"
Now his foot connected with my ribs with a crunch. I coughed up blood and looked up at him with tears in my eyes. As I sat up I realized Ivy was on her knees in front of me, tears running down her cheeks as well. The redhead's hands were tied behind her back and she looked so helpless.  The Joker stood behind her with a gun pushed to the back of Ivy's head.
"Say goodbye Harley!"
The Joker's sick, maniacal laugh tore through my mind as he pulled the trigger. I screamed and lunged for her...
I shot straight up, barely able to keep the scream confined to my throat. I was in a cold sweat and my heart was pounding so damn hard I thought anyone from here to Keystone could have heard it. Wait, Red! She was dead in the nightmare, what if-
"Red..." I tried waking her up with a gentle shake, but that didn't do the trick.
"Red. Red!"
The redhead shot into a sitting position, but I stopped her from going anywhere with a hand on her good shoulder.
"Careful there, you'll hurt yourself," I said softly, feeling my fear die down a little bit.
Our eyes met and I felt as if time itself had stopped all together. We were looking at each other as if it was the first time in decades.
"Harls I-"
I don't know what possessed me but I didn't let her finish whatever it was she was going to say. I pulled her to me by the front of her shirt and kissed her, gently at first but it got a little more heated. I pulled away ever so slightly to catch my breath and looked her in the eye again, tears streaming down my cheeks.
"I'm sorry I left, Red," I whispered apologetically.
Her green eyes just blinked at me in surprise, as if she was shocked that I had kissed her. I got to my feet, going over to her dresser. I was still in my outfit and I wanted to get comfortable, not feel like I had to be ready to fight any second. Putting my back to Ivy I pulled my shirt off and put one of her t-shirts on. My belt came off as did my bloodstained glove and leather bracelet. Just as my pants hit the floor I felt Ivy's hand on my arm.
I turned slightly to look at her, unsure of what to feel. I still didn't know if I should be mad or feel guilty for leaving still. Ivy's dresser was a short one so I jumped up onto it, sitting with my hands on the edge, waiting for Ivy to say something.
"Harley, I'm sorry about what happened with Selina... I really am," she finally said, looking away.
"I deserved it, Ivy... You don't need to apologize. It's what I get for abandoning you like that," I said playing with the hem of her shirt.
I had changed her into a tshirt and shorts after I had treated her bullet wound. I just stared at her, not realizing it could have come across a little creepily. I had almost forgotten how gorgeous she was. I blushed before looking away, suddenly feeling self conscious. Now it was my turn to be surprised when her lips crashed into mine. My hands went to her waist, pulling her closer to me as her good arm went around my neck.
"I missed you so much, Red," I breathed.