Chapter 11

Harley's POV

I woke up slowly with a shake of my head. The nightmares hadn't been as bad; that or maybe I was just starting to get used to them. After a quick shower I walked to the kitchen, dragging my feet as exhaustion was still dragging me down. My mouth stretched into a yawn as I poured myself a cup of coffee. Not waiting for Rachel to wake, I headed to work, having to ride the motorcycle since my car was still at the bank. Not that I was complaining, it was fun to ride afterall.
It had been a couple days since I had been in Gotham after Selina's little visit. I had been trying to stay away but everyday the urge to go back seemed to get stronger. I just had to remember that this was my life now... No more crazy, no more thought of the Joker! No more... Poison Ivy...
"Just don't think about it Harleen," I mumbled to myself as I unlocked the door to my office.
My secretary wasn't there yet so I just went into my office, shut the door and scrolled through patient files. I don't really know why I came in so early, I didn't see patients for another hour or so. Maybe it was that my office had a tranquil feel to it, it made my mind calm its nervous racing. I jumped when I heard the main office door slam shut.  I got up and opened my door, looking out to see what had Janet so worked up. Only, she wasn't there; the light in the lobby wasn't turned on yet and my secretary was nowhere to be found.
"Janet?"
Fear creeped up my spine, sending chills across my skin. I had the creepiest feeling, as if I was being watched. I frantically looked around my office, searching for something to defend myself with. I settled for grabbing the lamp on my desk and slowly walked out into the lobby.
"Is someone there," I asked quietly, almost afraid of getting an answer.
"Harley..."
The hair on my neck stood up at the dreadful hiss that I heard. I whirled around, looking around for a source of the voice. Was this another nightmare? Had I somehow fallen asleep at my desk and not even realized it? Or had I not even left my house...
"Harley Quinn..."
This time when I turned I could see a figure standing in the corner of the dark lobby. I lifted the lamp, as if it was really that threatening. I couldn't make out any features on the person, but their presence was threatening enough.
"S-Stay away!"
The figure ever so slowly started to move towards me, as if time was moving in slow motion. That was when I caught a glimpse of the long purple coat. The lamp slipped from my fingers and I turned to try and run away. But I had nowhere to go, I practically threw myself over the top of Janet's desk. Her computer crashed to the floor along with a picture of her boyfriend. My fingers tangled in my hair and I just crouched down, feeling tears edging their way to falling down my cheeks. My eyes were clenched so tightly shut it almost hurt.
"My Harley Quinn... What's happened to you my little jester..."
I risked opening my eyes to find that a cup of pens, pencils and such had fallen over the edge with me. There was a letter opener lying right next to my knee... This couldn't really be happening right? This was just another nightmare right? I just had to wake myself up! I grasped the letter opener tightly and lifted it shakily.
"Oh Harley... don't you see... this is reality!"
That laugh... That damn laugh! I wanted it to just fucking go away!
"Wake up!" I screamed, and without hesitation I drove it into my own thigh.
The pain was staggering, my leg protesting the foreign object now inside it. My muscles were tightening around the blade and the tears were quickly falling now. I felt a hand on my shoulder and without thinking, I tore the letter opener free. Turning on my heel, I took a wild swing at-
"Woah! What the hell Quinn?!"
Batgirl had halted the letter opener with the spikes on her gloves. I blinked in confusion... Had I woken myself up? I let go of the letter opener, allowing it to clatter to the floor as I collapsed onto the floor. My legs had given out under me and I stared up at Batgirl, tears still streaming down my cheeks.
"Are you okay, you look like you just saw a ghost," Batgirl asked, kneeling down in front of me.
"I... Yeah, I'm fine..."
"You stabbed yourself?!"
I looked down at my black slacks that were soaking with blood on one side. I nodded and tried to stand up, only to fall again. The vigilante in front of me helped me stand and helped me into my office carefully. She didn't say anything, not one word, but she had to be thinking it... Harleen Quinzel had lost it all over again. That had to be what she was thinking, no sane person just randomly stabbed themselves and then went after another person like that.
The redhead awkwardly gestured for me to pull my pants down a little and she pulled some bandages from that belt of hers and pushed it on, applying pressure to try and stop the bleeding.
"I don't know how much that'll help, you should probably go to the hospital in all honesty," Batgirl said, taking a step backwards to admire her handy work.
I just pulled my pants up and mumbled a thank you, turning away from her. That was when I noticed the open window; well that explained how Batgirl got in.
"Did Jonathan Crane pay you a visit by chance," she asked out of nowhere.
I turned to face her with a stunned look. How in the hell had she known? I hesitantly nodded and involuntarily wrapped my arms around myself with a shiver. I sat down heavily, instantly regretting it as pain shot through my thigh again.
"Why do you ask," I asked, looking up at her.
"I've been working a case, a string of people suddenly going insane after trying a new mystery drug that claims to help people get over their deepest fears."
I frowned and stared down at my lap; it definitely sounded like something Crane would pull. Except that that still didn't explain why the red headed bat was here.
"I came here to ask you about a witness's report of him coming into your offices," she said as if she had picked up on my doubts about her being there.
I only nodded, before closing my eyes tightly, trying to remember his little visit here. I could only remember him mocking me about leaving Red and the Joker being gone. But the memory of the needle in my neck was clear as day. I opened my eyes and let them meet hers.
"He... Injected me with some of the toxin... I honestly thought it would have worn off by now. But it just seems to get worse and worse," I said, my voice cracking a little as I answered.
"Is that why you were cowering behind a desk," she asked raising an eyebrow, her arms folded as she leaned against the wall.
"Yes... I... I stabbed my leg to wake myself up. When you grabbed me, I... I thought it was the Joker grabbing me."
Batgirl's eyes widened a little, but the look quickly vanished as she shook her head, "But I thought you were immune to almost all toxins after what Ivy did to you?"
I sank down in my chair at the mention of my redhead friend, "I thought so too, that's why this isn't making sense. The only explanation to it is that he's made a much stronger toxin."
"That would make sense. He must have wanted to test it on you, knowing that you're immune. If it works on you it'll work on anyone."
Batgirl bent down and picked something up off the floor. When she straightened up she held an almost empty syringe in her hand. A smirk rose to her lips and her eyes met mine.
"Unless you do drugs, I think we just lucked out. Crane must have dropped this when he left your office. I'll try and-"
"What the hell happened here? Harley! Are you still breathing?"
That was Selina's voice, hell was all of Gotham going to turn up in my damn office?! I got up and walked, with a slight limp, to my office door. Low and behold there was Catwoman standing in my lobby looking around as if someone was going to jump her.
"I'm fine Selina," I said leaning against the door frame. "What are you-"
"Damn it Quinn! Didn't I tell you to stay away from them," Batgirl snapped from behind me.
Yeah, I kinda saw that one coming. The last time Batgirl and I spoke she had told me to stay away from Ivy and Selina afterall. I defensively put my hands up, making an attempt at explaining.
"Hey hey hey! I don't know why she's here! I haven't had anything to do with her or... Ivy. Just like you told me," I said looking at her, my gaze practically begging for her to believe me.
"What? You said you'd stay away from us?"
I looked to Catwoman now, regretting saying what I had. This day was really not going well and it was only eight in the morning. Before I could say anything in my defense the feline turned and stormed out. Selina seemed on edge about something... I had to try and get Batgirl out of here so I could figure out why the hell Selina had shown up so abruptly.
"Look, I'm gonna take this sample back and run some tests... Harley please just stay out of trouble. I'll be in touch," Batgirl said, before taking her leave out the window.
Without skipping a beat I ran out the main door, chasing after Catwoman. It was hard, but I ignored the pain in my leg.
"Selina!"
As I ran down the front steps of the building I looked around, trying to spot the car. Before I could look any farther I felt Selina's hands on me, pulling me into a car as I walked past it.
"Selina what the hell is this about," I snapped; my temper was so short right now that it could have rivaled even the Joker's.
"Harley, you didn't actually promise to stay away from us did you?"
As my eyes adjusted to the dark car I shook my head, "No, technically I never did. Now seriously, what is this about?"
The Catwoman grew strangely quiet all of the sudden. She couldn't meet my gaze at all; this was starting to worry me. Catwoman usually didn't have such an awkward demeanor. That was when I realized Ivy wasn't with her. Weren't they always together nowadays?
"Selina.... where is Red?"
"That's the thing Harl... She's gone... Harvey took her."
~  ~  ~
Glancing at the time on my phone I took a deep breath. I stared at my outfit laid out on my bed; this would be the last time I ever wore it. I planned on burning it afterwards in all honesty. The Bats would just have to try and be understanding. There was no way I could just let Harvey "Two Face" Dent hurt Red... I wanted to bash his damn head in with my bat, blow his brains out with my pistol, even if it was the last thing I ever did.
I pulled on the black and red low rise pants - one pant leg was red and the other black. The black had three red diamonds on the thigh while the red had three smaller black diamonds on the calf. My black leather belt hung low and loose on my waist. The top was a belly shirt divided into four sections - red and black of course. I wore a red glove on my left hand with the fingers cut off and a loose fitting leather bracelet with grommets.
My pistol went in it's holster strapped to my thigh and my bat was over my shoulder as I walked out into the living room. Rachel was on the floor, eating ice cream and watching TV. The sound of my black and red combat boots on the wood floor alerted her to my presence. The woman's eyes widened in surprise but then a grin broke out across her face.
"Nice to see you back, Harley Quinn," she said with a chuckle.
I gave a half smile but left without a word. My mask was tucked into my back pocket and I strapped my bat to the side of the motorcycle before climbing onto it. It was nearly midnight, almost time to meet Selina. After discussing Red's current predicament I agreed to meet her at Ivy's apartment in Gotham after midnight. At the moment I didn't care about being spotted, I rushed to Gotham like my life depended on it. Selina and I would save Red, even if it killed me. As long as she was safe it didn't matter, even if she turned me away afterwards. At least I would know she was safe.