Chapter 3

Harley's POV

    The weeks passed by slowly, Harley Quinn slowly faded into the back of my mind. Or I kept telling myself that anyway. I wanted to go back to my normal life so bad that it almost hurt. But there was one thing that hurt more, leaving Red. The beautiful red head never left my thoughts, even when I was in sessions with patients. Batbrain and Commissioner Gordon decided that it would be best if I left Gotham to start my life anew.
    It was decided that I would l move to Metropolis. I was fine with it at first until I really thought about it. As the days dragged on I felt worse and worse about leaving Pamela without saying anything to her. I think that's why it hurt so bad when Red showed up at my office unexpected and left in the manner that she did. I had been standing over my secretary's shoulder looking down at the paperwork she had just received on a patient that was coming in later that day. When the door opened I had glanced up for only a second and saw a flash of red hair but I put it off as my overactive imagination, wanting to see Ivy again.
    When she spoke though I thought I felt my heart stop for a moment in my chest. I had to keep myself from jumping into her arms. Gordon had an officer positioned outside my office to keep an eye on me to make sure that I didn't return to my antics as a jester. When she told me that Selina was waiting outside I started to fidget. I didn't want the detective outside to recognize either of them. But when Red stormed out the worry left my mind immediately.
    "It's not you, Red." I exclaimed reaching for her wrist.
    "Of course not! Is it cause the Joker is no more? Was he the only reason you were 'bad', huh?"
    I hunched down a little under the red head's words as they cut deeper than any physical injury the Joker had ever inflicted. I tried to call out for her as she left but she just kept going. I felt my knees go weak underneath me and I fell against the door frame, watching her receding form down the hallway. I couldn't hold myself up against the door frame anymore and my knees hit the ground and my glasses fell down my nose.
    "R-Red," I whimpered, biting back tears.
    My secretary helped me off the ground; I barely heard her ask if I was okay.
    "I'm... just gonna go home for the rest of the day..."
    "I'll cancel the rest of your appointments," she said gently.
    I hung up my white coat and practically ran out to my car. When I got in the car I felt a bit of frustration take over as I ripped my hair out of the ponytail it was in and threw my glasses on to the passenger seat. As I pulled out of my parking spot I saw the detective following behind me and took all I had to not speed off to get away from him. My night went as it usually did and that only served to upset me more because it did nothing to get Poison Ivy off my mind.
    I ate my dinner by myself and later that night I sat to watch the news. I nearly choked on my glass of wine when I saw the headline. Red and Selina had gone through Gotham and parts of Metropolis stealing enough things to add up to nearly a million dollars all together. I gripped the pillow I had tightly and bit my lower lip. With a yell of pain, that seemed to release the emotional pain I had pent up, I hurled my glass of wine at the TV. It shattered against the screen and I didn't stop there. I took the remote and threw it towards the wall, knocking a vase off of its stand.
    I went to my closet to find my red and black corset hanging along with the rest of my jester 'uniform'. I stared at it for what felt like hours but I finally tore myself away from it and crawled under my covers, falling into a fitful sleep......
    I was lying beside Ivy, trying to calm myself from the shock of the Joker dying. I could feel Ivy's gentle breathing against my neck as her arm wrapped around my waist. I snuggled up against her, realizing just how much happier I was with her arms around me, rather than the Joker's. I rolled over to look at my redheaded partner in crime, to find her eyes open and now searching mine. I felt my cheeks redden when we started to close the distance at the same time.
    Just as our lips were about to claim each other...
    My alarm blared practically in my ear. I woke up by smacking the alarm off my nightstand and crawling out of bed. As I stood under the hot water in my shower I felt tears streaking down my cheeks as I pressed my forehead to the cold shower wall.
    "Red.... I'm sorry..."
    When I finally made it to work my secretary clearly wanted to ask me if I was okay but she refrained from it. I pulled my coat on and sat at my desk, rubbing my temples to try and get rid of a headache that was beginning to throb. There was a knock on my office door and when I looked up I nearly lost my temper. It was one of the GCPD cops in full uniform.
    "Are you even allowed here? It's not your jurisdiction," I said as evenly as I possibly could.
    "I just have a few questions for you Dr. Quinzel," he said taking his hat off.
    "Fine, but make it fast, I have patients to see."
    "I know Poison Ivy and Selina Kyle were here yesterday."
    "So? What of it," I asked folding my arms.
    "What did they want?"
    "Ivy just wanted to know what happened and where I was. No big deal."
    The officer took a few notes and eyed me closely, "Alright Dr. Quinzel, I'll be back if I have anymore questions for you."
    "Good, now get out of my office, bub," I muttered under my breath.
    He left, giving me an odd look as he did so.
    My eleven o'clock patient came in and I nearly fell out of my chair when I was met with the harsh smile of Jonathan Crane. I got to my feet so fast I knocked my chair over.
    "What the hell are you doing here, Crane," I snapped.
    "I'm here for an appointment, Dr. Quinzel," he said so coldly it made me shiver.
    "Bullshit, get out!"
    "Just thought I'd come check on you, see if it was actually true that you went back to 'normal.' You're a wreck, Harleen, I can see it in your eyes. You're afraid," he hissed getting in my face, practically coming across my desk.
    "Is it because you don't have the clown around to protect you?"
    I couldn't move as his hand went around my throat and he got even closer. I was frozen, completely afraid of what he would do. Suddenly I was pinned to my desk and I felt a stabbing pain in my neck.
    "Enjoy your dreams tonight, Harleen. You'll find out what you're truly afraid of," Crane hissed in my ear.
    I woke what had to be only a few minutes later, shaking my head vigorously. What had happened? I honestly couldn't remember, not even how I had ended up on my desk. My neck was sore the rest of the day as I went through one patient after the next. Yet again that night when I went home it was the same as always, dinner, shower, watch the news. Ivy and Catwoman made the news again and this time I just angrily turned the TV off, not wanting a repeat of cleaning up the mess.
    I thought of Ivy as I fell asleep that night, just like I did every other night. I thought about her, even when I wanted to think about something else. Her half smile that only I ever seemed to get out of her, her gorgeous green eyes and gentle touch.... Where was she right then? Was she thinking about me? Did she miss me as much as I missed her? I just shook my head, trying to blink away the tears.
    Over and over again the same words were muttered as I fell into the deep, dark abyss of sleep, "I'm sorry, Red...."