prologue

the old world broke her

this new world is changing her

Silas was incredibly small for her age, making her an easier target when it came to her fathers or a bully's wrath. She was only 4'11 despite being a 14-year-old, and it might've been due to the lack of nourishment she allowed into her body.

Silas had a younger sister that she'd give her life for in heartbeat. She always protected little Sophia, (who in reality was almost the same size as her— maybe two or three inches shorter).

Their mother, Carol, and Silas didn't get along very well. Carol always thought that Silas was disobedient and disrespectful, while Silas thought her mother was spineless and weak. Which maybe she was. She stayed with an abusive man who hurt not only her on a daily basis but their daughters too. Silas always got the worse of it though, as she was the only one brave enough to fight back.

Silas attended a public high school where she had hardly any friends, but it is where she spends a lot of her downtime. She always found herself participating in any and everybody extracurricular activity she could, just to stay out of her house as long as possible. And it helped that Sophia's school was right across from hers so she always had her best friend whenever she needed her.

The day that everything changed Silas was at soccer practice. Sophia had been sat on the bleachers, finishing up her homework when the sound of screeching tires filled her ears. She closed her book and looked behind her, seeing her mother hurrying over towards the gate that separated the parking lot from the bleachers.

Sophia stood from the bleachers and ran down them all the way towards the gate near the track.

"Silas, mommy's here!"

Silas stood from her stretched position, looking over at her sister who was waiting for her at the gate. "I'll be right there!"

Silas hugged her team goodbye, bidding them a goodnight, unbeknownst to her that it'd be their final farewell. Silas grabbed her soccer bag, running towards the gate and opening it before slinging her arm around her sisters shoulder.

"Hey, how was school today?" The older girl asked and Sophia smiled up at her sister, wrapping her arm around the girls waist. "Pretty good. I learned how to solve improper fractions in my math class today, and tomorrow I get to—"

Sophia's ramble was cutoff when the girls' mother let out a scream. Silas looked up from smiling at her little sister to the sickly man that had grabbed onto her friend still down at the field, biting into the side of her neck.

The soccer girls let out screams as more of those things came from nowhere.

"Silas, Sophia run!" Silas' hand dropped from her sisters shoulder to her hand, pulling the girl with her as she broke into a sprint towards the main gate. Carol held it open for her daughters as she ushered them towards her Cherokee, telling them to buckle up.

Silas sat in the seat shocked as tears blurred her vision. She couldn't believe what she had just saw.

"Oh god. What the hell is going on?"