ten

{ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ: ᴛʀᴀᴜᴍᴀᴛɪᴄ ᴄʀᴀꜱʜᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴛꜱᴅ}

word count:
3005

warnings ⚠️: explicit language, mentions of suicide, a flashback of sexual assault/harassment

FLASHBACK 2 MONTHS PRE-APOCALYPSE

SILAS PELETIER worked at a place owned by Allen and Louise Baker, The Bakers Dozen, every day after soccer practice from 5 until 11. Because her father had refused to work, she and her mother got jobs to support the family. The family car was bought by Silas when she was 10, she spent every day since she was eight years old mowing lawns, babysitting, and tutoring just to be able to afford the family car. Of course, it was in her father's name, and he took the money from her to buy it but it was still money that she earned.

She made $15/an hour due to her moved-up position as assistant manager and because of how close she was to the Baker family. Normally children aren't allowed to work until their 13 and 15, but she was a close friend to the Baker family so they gave her a job taking out trash and clearing tables, until she was 13 and got a real job there.

Silas was always a punctual person. She hated being late to anything, and always made sure to organize her schedule the weekend before. So when she didn't show up for her shift at 5, the Bakers were becoming worried. When 6:30 pm rolled around and she still hadn't walked in, sent someone in for her, or called, they knew that something had to have gone wrong.

Forty-Two minutes until her shift was set to start, Silas Peletier finished her shower in the girl's locker room like usual. She waited until every girl on her team had left before she took her shower, every day like clockwork.

She had just finished washing up when her watch beeped, telling her that it was time for her to get out. She got out, wrapping her towel around her body and drying off.

She put her underclothes on, slipped on her shower shoes, and walked out towards the locker room. Silas opened her locker, fishing out her clothes for work when a loud slam startled her.

"Coach?"

BACK TO PRESENT

"Open up the map for me," Lori said as she handed the paper to the teen. "Okay."

Silas opened up the large map, much to her dismay, maybe if she folded it enough to where Lori wouldn't see it they'd be safe. The map was entirely too large and almost covered up the windshield, so she folded up the parts she knew they wouldn't need. Lori looked from the road to the paper map in the teens' hands.

"We're right here so we're going to—"

"Lori look out!" Lori looked up to the road just as she crashed into a lone walker. Lori swerved but the car flipped over and landed upside down, both of them hitting their heads and getting knocked out cold.