one

{ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ: ɢᴜᴛꜱ }
word count:
1885
warnings ⚠️: explicit language, mentions of abuse

SILAS EVE PELETIER was always a night owl. If she could she'd sleep in all day and wander the world at night, she would. But now that the world has restrictions on certain aspects of the old life, she can no longer sneak out and roam the streets. Well she can, just not as safely as before.

Silas found solace in a lot of things, although her parents were not one of them. She is very fond of high trees, small handguns, and very sharp knives.

There was a tall and beautiful willow tree deeper into the woods of the camp that Silas and her family were staying at. 'Gary', she called it, was her newest safe place. Before it was soccer and school, now it was a huge tree in the middle of the quarry's forest.

Silas was currently hiding from reality up in her tree, with a book in her lap. The teenager had been gone all day, and her mother assumed she was around camp playing with her sister or talking to Amy.

Amy Harrison is the only girl at camp close to the teens age, which sucked to Silas. Other than Amy, there was Ezra who was a little bit older than her, but he was grieving the loss of his loving father and Silas was grieving the chance to get away from Ed.

She didn't mind the presence and certain conversations she had with the older blonde(though the same couldn't be said about Ezra) but she felt like they had nothing in common or interesting to say to the other.

Amy still believed in fairytales and happy endings while Silas' only chance at finding solace is when she's asleep.

Despite the new circumstances the world was currently experiencing, Silas could still see the beauty of the nature surrounding her, finding it peaceful even if she knew as soon as she was back her father would want to go for a round two with his belt for her attitude with him hours prior to now.

The girl didn't care though. She was at peace for now and she was okay with that.

"I came all the way out here to get away from you people. You're invading on my alone time."

"I came to bring you back to camp. I don't think you should be all the way out here unarmed, and your sister is trying to get me to play tag with her and Carl, we need more players." Silas rolled her eyes at the person who interrupted her quiet. "Go back, Grimes. I'm not interested." The boy chuckled as he walked closer, looking up at the trees.

The freckled boy couldn't pinpoint the exact tree she was in but he knew she was out here.

"Come on. It'll be fun."

"I'll take my chances with Gary. Go back, Ezra."

Ezra sighed before detouring back to camp. He had hoped to be able to talk to her some but it was clear she wanted nothing to do with him.

——

Silas fell asleep against the tree, her 'Pride and Prejudice' novel on the ground 12 feet below.

In the distance a yell caught her off guard, startling her in her sleep. She rolled over, forgetting where she was— but it was too late. Silas had already began falling off the branch she was sat on, landing on her stomach on a smaller branch.