sixteen

{ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ: ᴛʜᴀɴᴋꜱ ꜰᴏʀ ʟᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ᴍᴇ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ}

chapter outfit:

(same as last chapter)

"Did you even sleep?" Silas asked, a moment of silence later, looking at him after sitting next to him. He looked at her and smirked, shaking his head. "Aren't I supposed to be checking on you? Making sure you're okay? I am older last time I checked." He said to her and she stifled a laugh.

"You can't just not take care of yourself. I get it Rick, you feel like it's your mission to guide us because of that whole 'this ain't a democracy anymore' speech, but you did." Rick looked at the girl to his left, thinking for a few moments before looking back to keeping watch. "You don't need to neglect yourself to lead the rest of us. It's okay to rest." She explained to him and he sighed and nodded. "You're right. You're right." He chuckled before looking down at his pocket and dug something out of it.

"That night... The night Shane-- the night of the farm," He cleared his throat and held something in his hand. "You did what you had to. Nobody blames you, you saved us." Silas dismissed, looking out at the field. Rick just looked at her and chuckled before taking her hand, causing her to look down, as he put what felt like a chain in her hand and balled her fingers closed.

"Right before I--. Before I killed him, he admitted what he did to you. He practically threw it in my face about what he had done." Rick said. Her eyebrows knitted in confusion as Rick looked back out into the field. She just looked at the man's face, confused. "He ripped his necklace off, and the last thing he said was your name."

"I—." She opened her hand to see a slightly bloody necklace, Shane's silver 22 necklace precisely.

"You had nothing to do with it. Don't you ever think that you did, Silas." He said and she shuddered at her last memory of him. She had almost died by his hands 8 months ago. She'd never forgive him for that.

"He wanted you to have it. I know he was sorry, and that means nothing really but I just thought you deserved to know." He said to her. Her eyes closed as her lip trembled and tears welled up.

"Shane didn't die because he killed Randall. He's not even dead for wanting to kill me. Shane is dead because of what he did to you. How he tried to lie and say you had forgiven Randall. I couldn't let that behavior continue, but his death isn't on anyone but him." Rick looked back out as the girl looked down at the chain in her hand. She squeezed it right before sliding it into her own pocket.

"I wouldn't mind taking watch. I think you need to get a couple hours of sleep." She suggested, not being able to continue the current conversation. "Yeah you're probably right. I'll sleep once we're inside." He said and she just nodded, knowing he wouldn't sleep until everyone was adjusted inside the prison.