Chapter 6 - The Duel

"A challenge?" I repeated slowly. I raised an eyebrow; I was indeed quite interested in what he could possibly have in mind. "What exactly would this challenge consist of?"

"A duel." He said simply, "I'm sure most of us are very curious to see you fight," He clapped Fili on the shoulder, pulling him forward. "And Fili here is one of our best swordsmen." I met Fili's eyes, and I almost laughed at how confused he looked. "It looks to me like this would be quite an even fight. Only if you're willing of course." I narrowed my eyes. He was trying to bait me; make small jabs at my honor and give me no choice but to accept his challenge. It was almost annoying how similar he and I were; if I had been given an annoying older brother he would have been exactly like Thorin Oakenshield.

"I would be more than willing to accept your challenge, but.." I hesitated. "I have no blade to fight with." Now it was Thorin's turn to look confused.

"What's a warrior without a weapon." He inquired, his blue eyes stormy. I frowned, that comment actually hurt me a bit.

"Well I have a weapons rack in my bedroom, Ash gave it to me; but I don't keep any weapons on it because Bilbo would take them and hide them from me if ever he were presented with the opportunity." Bilbo's cheeks flushed a light pink, and I smiled. "I keep them in Bree." Fili took another step forward, a shy smile on his face.

"Well, I'm quite certain you could do a more than adequate job of defending yourself with a cheese knife, but for the sake of a fair fight; I would be happy to lend you a sword." He announced. I nodded, ignoring Thorin's smug smile from where he still stood behind him.

"Very well," I said, turning on my heel and walking down the hall to my bedroom. I wondered for a moment if I should choose the weapons, or let Fili do it. I knew I would be very offended at someone going through my weapons, so I simply gathered everything in my arms, careful not to drop anything and then made my way back to the dining room. I set the large pile of weapons on the table. He stood for a moment looking over the various array of blades before deciding on two smaller swords. He tossed me the lighter of the two; and I tried my best not to take offense. I pulled it out of the sheath just a bit, getting a good look at the blade.

It looked new, and though it looked unused I had serious doubts that was the case. Fili didn't seem like someone who would pass up any opportunity to use his weapons, and he carried enough of them it seemed quite impossible he could ever be taken by surprise. This sword was sharp, and I knew I was going to have to be careful not to injure either of us. I was about to pull it the rest of the way out when Bilbo stepped between us. He looked at me as though I had lost every bit of my mind.

"Saria, there is no way I'm going to let you have a duel in the house." He cried. My eyes widened, and I quickly returned it completely to the sheath. "I'm not quite sure why you've developed this sudden need to prove yourself, but don't do it here." His voice was worried, but I caught the usual tone of annoyance he usually used when speaking to me. I nodded, my cheeks flaming in humiliation.

"I suppose you're right Bilbo." I replied, now unsure of how to proceed. I thought for a moment, a brilliant idea suddenly forming in my mind. I smiled, "I know just the place." I secured the sword to my belt and moved into the hall. No one else moved. "Well come on then," I said, moving quickly out the door and through the front gate. I walked quickly down the empty road, in the complete opposite direction of the route I had taken at dawn. I heard the heavy footsteps, and gravel crunching loudly under large boots following behind me. Once I was confident they were close enough that they could keep up, I increased my pace.

It took about ten minutes of walking, to get to the clearing I had chosen, and I smiled when I caught sight of the fireflies whizzing through the air. Memories of my father and our midnight picnics here bounced around in my head. I wonder what he would have thought about me bringing a large group of male dwarves here to watch me partake in a duel. Something tells me he'd have laughed, and then bet everything he had on me. That's how much he had believed in me, and I think that's what's kept me going these last twenty five years.