Chapter 41 - What Must Be Done

Okay, before I even start I just need to thank those of you who are even still reading this story. This summer has been absolutely insane for me, but now that I'm mostly settled at my University; and my course load isn't terrible I have every intention of posting as often as I can. I have finished writing the actual story, and we are more than halfway there so I'm just grateful to all of you for putting up with the insanity that is my irregular posting schedule. Once I finish posting this story I am going to get back to writing the next one that I have started. It is called 'The Test of Time,' and it is based in the time period of The Lord Of The Rings. The main character is an elf and the love interest is going to be King Thranduil. I'm hoping you guys will read it, and if you like I can post the teaser at the end of one of our upcoming chapters.

Lastly, and I know I asked this once before, but I didn't actually receive much as far as feedback goes, so I'm wondering if any of you guys would be interested in reading a book of Harry Potter one shots I have started. I have so many ideas for them, and I'd love to write them but I want to know if that's something you guys would be interested in.

~Andie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What's the matter?" Fili asked, setting down the knife he had been clutching and coming to stand beside me. "Are you alright? Has something happened?" I shook my head, having to resist the urge to pull away when he laid a hand on my arm. For a split second I considered changing my mind and keeping my secret, but my heart told me this was not something I ever should have kept from him in the first place; I would be lucky if he forgave me at all. I took a deep breath.

"Do you remember the story I told you that night in Laketown?" I inquired, and he nodded; his eyebrows drawing in obvious confusion.

"The story of Cyprus and Elstan, and the sword in the sky of course I remember... But what could that possibly have to do with anything?" His question was logical, but still it somehow managed to aggravate me.

"I feel like we're trapped in that story right now. You've seen the same thing I have when you look in Thorin's eyes." I ran a hand through my hair. "He's sick Fili. He has more gold and riches than anyone could spend in one hundred lifetimes and it isn't enough for him. He's just like Elstan in the sense that no matter what he gets he's always going to want more. Unless we figure out a way to help him." Fili nodded slowly, but he said nothing; so I continued. "Balin told me that if he were to have the Arkenstone..... If he had it his madness would only grow. I do not doubt that it would grow to the point where not even you would recognize him. The only chance we have of getting him back is to get through to the Thorin we all know, and if he has the stone any hope of that will be lost. That's why I couldn't..."

I trailed off, unwilling to let the words pass from my own lips; as though not saying it would make the lie a little easier for him to accept. I was surprised however when, instead of running me through with a knife like I had almost been expecting, he pulled me into his arms and pressed a light kiss to my temple.

"That's why you couldn't give him the stone. Even though you've had it in your pocket for two days." His voice was light and laced with humor, and I opened and closed my mouth several times before the initial shock wore off enough that I could formulate any sort of intelligent response.

"You knew." I muttered slowly, ignoring the light chuckle I heard from him. "All this time you knew. How?" He laughed, taking my hands in his own.

"I know you Saria; and after you came out of the treasure room that first time you flinched every time anyone got anywhere close to this... pocket." He concluded, setting his hand on my left side. I flinched before I could stop myself and he smiled. "I'm certain no one else has noticed, but I became absolutely certain when I saw how careful you were taking off your jacket last night." My cheeks flamed when I realized that while I was trying to be secretive I was actually being blatantly obvious. "Show it to me?" He asked, his eyes guarded. I didn't hesitate reaching into my pocket; though I paused long enough to convince myself that we were indeed alone before pulling it out.

It blazed brighter than starlight in my hand, and as I slowly released my fingers Fili reached gingerly forward and laid first just a finger on it; running it along the impossibly smooth surface of the stone.When I made no move to stop him he took the stone from my hand and turned it over several times in his own. I almost laughed aloud when he frowned at the stone as though it had said something horribly impolite to him. He tossed it into the air once and caught it easily before handing it back to me. I returned it to my pocket without a word.

"I find it hard to believe that we've been in so much peril all this time, and it just kills me to think that you've been put in danger again and again; all for a shiny rock." He ran a hand through his hair, pulling me against his chest. "The heirloom of our people. Growing up that's what Thorin would call it and I guess I always though it would be something magnificent and powerful, but it's not." He picked up a large glass bowl; and I lunged forward when I realized his plan; I had to wrestle it away from him to prevent him from smashing it in his anger. "Our people died because of that stupid rock!" He screamed, tears brimming in his green eyes. "How much more would Thorin have it cost us?" His voice broke, and I saw a flash of something dangerous in his eyes. Before he could move away from me I reached for him, wrapping my arms around his neck and pressing my lips to his.

He fought me for a brief moment, and the grip he had on my hip was likely going to bruise but still I held tight to him. Slowly I felt him start to relax, and when I pulled away his anger seemed to have been reduced from a raging inferno to a small campfire. "I'm sorry." He whispered, laying his head on my shoulder, hot tears leaking from his eyes and dripping onto the side of my neck. I ran my fingers through his hair, holding him and saying nothing until his tears were spent.