Chapter 17 - A Long Awaited Truth

"What did you say?" I asked; my voice disbelieving as I scrambled to my feet. My eyes never left his. He stood with me; suddenly looking so much older than he was.

"His name was Thender wasn't it?" He asked, rubbing his face. I nodded, my body numb, my mind unable to comprehend what was going on. Fili squeezed my hand, and that was the only reassurance I had that I wasn't dreaming.

"Y-Yes," I admitted, "That was his name though he never used it around me. How could you possibly have known that?" I heard myself asking the question, but a huge part of me was not prepared for whatever answer he would give me. He took several long breaths before speaking again.

"Because I was good friends with your father, I was also with him when he died." He admitted finally. Tears flooded my eyes, sliding freely down my cheeks as I looked at Thorin.

"What happened?" I choked, "Please." I was begging now, "They never told me what happened." He grabbed my shoulders, forcing me to look at him; though I could not see much through my tears.

"You were not to be told because your father begged me to keep it a secret. He did not want you to look into what happened. Though it seems my efforts to do so were all for naught." He muttered, more to himself than to me. I scoffed.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I snapped, "Twenty five years I've spent wondering what happened to him. Why would you not have told me sooner!?" I was unsure whether to be angry or grateful to Thorin in this moment; for this was the furthest I had ever gotten with anyone in any conversation about my father's death.

"I could not be sure it was you," He said logically, "I had my suspicions but I had never met Thender's daughter; nor had I even so much as heard your name. He was very careful to keep you hidden away from us; even those of us he trusted. It was the ring that made me certain it was you." He pulled me in for a tight hug, which I returned; sobbing into his chest. He had every answer I needed, and it seemed like someone was finally willing to give them to me. "Saria listen to me," He begged, and I pulled back enough to look at him. "He kept this from you to keep you safe." I nodded.

"And he did," I replied, struggling to speak through the tears, "For twenty five years he did. I don't want anymore secrets Thorin. Please." I broke down again, and Fili pulled me gently from Thorin, sitting down and pulling me into his lap. Thorin sat beside me, and Kili placed himself on the other side. I took a shaky breath; pressing the lower parts of my palms against my eyes to slow the tears. "Tell me everything." I said, my voice stronger now." He looked uncertain. "I'm ready to hear what happened."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Since the battle of Moria I had been forever listening for news of my father," Thorin explained. "I was in Rohan, there had been reports of him wandering near the border; though like every other time I found absolutely nothing. I was in Edoras when I ran into your father." He smiled to himself, likely at long buried memories. "I hadn't seen Thender since his wife died and he had disappeared. He had been speaking out very loudly and publicly about reclaiming Erebor and most everyone thought him completely mad. They quickly realized he would not heed their warnings, so they made several attempts on your life; he took you and disappeared. I didn't see nor hear from him for almost five decades." My eyes grew wide as all of his words began to register.

"Took me from... where exactly?" I asked and he frowned.

"From the Blue Mountains of course." He replied, his confusion evident. I covered my mouth with my hand, blinking hard to keep the tears away as another of my lifelong mysteries was suddenly solved. "He never told you." He stated; though it was more to himself than to me that he spoke again. I shook my head.