Chapter 34 - The Battle For the Mountain: Part 1

Fili, Kili, Ori and I split off from the others when we reached the end of the tunnel and it split off in four different directions. Thorin, Dwalin and Balin took the path furthest to the right and disappeared from sight very quickly. Bombur and Dori took the next path, and after a moments hesitation Nori and Oin followed close behind them. Bifur, Bofur and Gloin took the third path, and the four of us were left standing alone in the small tunnel; our eyes fixed on our path yet none of us quite willing to lead the charge. I saw the fear in their eyes, and it matched my own; but my fear was not going to get us through this in one piece. I drew Ringil from the scabbard and held it out in front of me, spinning it once in my hand before looking to Kili.

     "You ready?" I inquired, and he nodded; squaring his shoulders and drawing a sword of his own. "And what about you?" I asked, turning to Ori. "Are you ready?" He nodded slowly, drawing the small knife I had given him from inside of his coat. I turned then to face Fili

     "I'm ready Saria," He said simply. "Are you?" His voice was calm,but there was an intense fear in his eyes I had never seen before. He wanted to keep us safe, and I knew he would lay down his life in a second if he thought it would get us through this. The thought terrified me, it was why I hadn't wanted to be separated from him. If I wasn't with him there was no guarantee he could be prevented from doing something impossibly stupid. I forced the thoughts from my mind as I remembered he had asked me a question.

     "No, I'm not." I admitted, earning me the very shocked stares of the three men standing before me. "I'm scared, and I don't know what's going to happen, but that doesn't mean I won't fight this monster with everything I have. If I have to watch another friend die I'm really not sure what I'll do." I forced a smile onto my face, "So you all better be careful, and keep each other out of trouble."They all nodded, but before they could say anything I turned to the path we had agreed to take, spinning my sword in my hand one last time. "Let's do this," I called out to them; hesitating only a moment before sprinting into the smaller tunnel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I didn't stop running until I reached the second and final fork in our path; the path to the left would take Kili and I around to the far side nearest the forges, the other would take Fili and Ori directly into the path of the dragon where, hopefully, the others would still be alive and waiting for them. When the others had caught up, and Kili was standing at my side I moved toward the tunnel, but a hand on my arm forced me to turn back. I found myself staring at Fili's chest, but I couldn't make myself look up any higher. Instead I struggled against his grip, though it was tighter than usual so I didn't get far.

    "Fili we do not have time for this," I argued, increasing my struggle; though I stopped completely just moment later when he grasped my other arm as well. "Fili I'm serious, we need to-" He cut me off; pressing his lips to mine for a brief moment before pulling back; forcing me to meet his eyes.

     "Shut up for a second and let me talk," He insisted, and his bluntness startled me into silence. "I'm not sure what's going to happen out there, all I know is that I want to get through it so that I can comeback to you. Okay?" I nodded, unsure as to how I was supposed to respond to that. "Good," He whispered, releasing one of my arms so that he could brush the hair out of my face. "I love you Saria, and I have no intention of losing you any time in the near future."I laughed, despite my fear and he smiled at me for a brief moment before reaching into his jacket. "Here," He said quietly; holding my hand palm up and pressing something round and cool into the center of my palm before closing my fingers around it. I held his gaze for a moment before dropping my eyes to my hand, and slowly opening it to reveal a small; perfectly round stone.