Chapter 53 - Picking Up The Pieces

The six of us shared a look that made it clear that we had all heard the very same thing, and fear gripped my heart like a vice as Thorin pushed himself to his feet. He offered me a hand, and I took it without hesitation; pulling Fili with me as I struggled to stand. I raced to the edge of the waterfall as soon as I had my balance, and I could hear the others following after me.

I slid to a stop, beyond thankful for whoever had grabbed my shoulder to keep me from going over the edge; though I couldn't make myself turn my head even the slightest bit to check, and a moment later the hand disappeared. I scanned the field below us, hardly able to breathe as I tried to determine the source of the horn. Then I saw it.

The Orcs were retreating. There looked to be less than one thousand of them left, and they were fleeing back into the tunnels they had come through not so terribly long ago. I saw Dain yell something, and a moment later a large party of Dwarves went after them; splitting off and disappearing underground. I grinned, turning around, suddenly feeling as though the world itself had been lifted right off of my shoulders.

"We did it." I whispered, throwing my arms around Fili and sobbing into his chest as the fear and dread that had been clinging to me for months finally fell away. I pulled back, waving Thorin and Kili forward before hugging all three of them, and earning loud laughs as they all tried to hug me back at once. "You're alive." I whispered, trying to convince myself more than anyone else that it really was true. "You're all alive." I released them and moved to Dwalin, who immediately opened his arms. I grinned, hugging him tightly.

"You fought well lass." He stepped back, crossing his arms. "There's certainly more to you than meets the eye." I laughed.

"Thank you Dwalin. You didn't do so bad yourself." I teased, laughing when he swung for my arm, I managed to dodge, and he stumbled forward. I hesitated only a moment before punching him instead. Thorin laughed hard, resting a hand on Dwalin's shoulder to keep himself upright, and I took the opportunity to walk to Tauriel. She hugged me tightly.

"Thank you." She whispered as the others were laughing and hugging each other again. I raised an eyebrow.

"Forwhat?" I asked, genuinely confused this time. She sighed, wringingher hands together.

"For saving him. For helping him when I couldn't." I understood then, the tone of her voice, the fact that she couldn't quite meet my eyes. I smiled

"You love him don't you." I whisper, not missing the appreciation in her eyes at how low my voice was. She hesitated for a moment before finally nodding. I grinned.

"I think I do. And I know it's extremely... abnormal perhaps. But..." She trailed off, her eyes betraying her uncertainty.

"I'm happy for you." I said after a short silence. She finally smiled, relief evident in her eyes. "I do honestly hope that you are very happy together. And you will always be welcome here if I have anything to say about it." She hugged me again before we finally rejoined the others. I looked down over the field, and saw that some of the dwarves were already returning. "We need to get down there." I said as we continued to stand there, and though no one said anything I could tell they were in agreement.

We walked slowly back the way we had come, the hill littered with the bodies of dead Orcs and Goblins. I laughed aloud when we returned to the clearing we had started in, and the goats were waiting for us. Iran my hand along the horn of one goat, and it leaned into my hand. Ilaughed, and a moment later Fili pulled me onto the goat. I sat in front of him, and he wrapped his arms firmly around me. Tauriel rode with Kili, and Dwalin and Thorin took the other two; leading the way down. I was relieved when they chose a simple, far less treacherous trail than the one we had taken to get here.