Chapter 10 - Elves

I was quick to rejoined Thorin at the front of the company, though as soon as I got near the cave I was overwhelmed by the stench of things I didn't even want to think about. Thorin and Dwalin disappeared inside, and I wanted nothing more then to follow them; but I was gagging so badly I was wishing for troll breath. A smooth fabric was suddenly under my nose and I could feel hands tying it at the back of my head. In that moment the awful smell was replaced with the soothing scent of leather and peppermint. I didn't even need to turn around to know who was standing behind me.

"Thank you," I mumbled around his scarf.

"You're welcome," Fili said with a smile, taking my hand and half dragging me into the cave behind him. It took my eyes a moment to adjust to the sudden darkness, but when they did I was surprised to see piles of gold, silver, gems and many other treasures. My attention was not on treasure of that kind however. I found myself drawn to a small pile of swords. Though covered in a thick layer of dust and cobwebs it was clear they had once belonged to someone of great importance.

I hesitated for a brief moment, my hand hovering over the blades. In the next moment Thorin was standing beside me; he reached out and plucked a sword from the pile, turning it over in his hands several times before pulling it just far enough out of the scabbard that it could be seen. Even in the darkness I gasped at what I saw.

"These blades were forged by the high elves in Gondolin; in the first age I would bet," I whispered, shock coursing through me; so many of those blades had been lost long ago. Thorin dropped the blade as though it had burned him and I rolled my eyes. I retrieved it from the ground and held it out to him. "Don't be a fool Thorin Oakenshield" I hissed, "You could not ask for a finer blade." He hesitated for a moment before taking it back again and securing it to his back. He held my gaze for a few short seconds before moving off to speak to Dwalin again.

I took another from the pile, turning it over in my hands. When I pulled it out, much as Thorin had done; the blade gleamed like ice in the darkness. It was silver and cold looking, but there was no mistaking how deadly it would be in combat. There was also something terribly familiar about it, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The final blade was longer than the others, so I gave it to Gandalf; who took it gratefully and with no small amount of interest in it.

Thorin ordered that we move on, but as I moved to do so I caught my toe on something and stumbled. I looked down to find a very small sword; nothing more than a letter opener really, but I thought perhaps I could bring it back to Bilbo. As a souvenir of my adventure. I picked it up, brushing as much of the dust off as I could before joining the others outside.

"What might that be Saria?" Gandalf asked as I attached the smaller blade to my belt opposite the icy grey one; a difficult task as my eyes struggled to adjust to the sudden light.

"It's for Bilbo I think," I replied with a smile. "It seems to be about his size." Gandalf nodded.

"Keep it close. It is of elvish make; meaning it will glow blue when orcs or goblins are near." My eyes widened; the elves really had thought of everything hadn't they.

I was startled from my thoughts by the loud sound of something moving through the forest. We all moved into formation, blades drawn; expecting to be faced with an orc or another troll. To our surprise, a strange man burst from the trees on a sleigh pulled by rabbits. The sight was so unusual I found myself laughing so hard I had to duck behind a tree to keep from making a fool of myself. I heard Gandalf call the man Radagast, and I had to think for a moment before I remembered that he was another member of Gandalf's order.

I moved slowly out from behind the tree to see them deep in conversation. I heard Radagast mention a necromancer, though they were to far away for me to hear anything more. I saw Radagast pull something from his robes. He handed it to Gandalf, and though I could not see exactly what it was; the look on Gandalf's face told me things had suddenly become very complicated. A low snarl from somewhere around us confirmed my suspicions, and in the next moment a huge wolf-like creature pounced at us from above.