Chapter 24 - The Word Of A King

I moved quickly and silently through the streets, sticking close to the shadows even when I knew perfectly well that they couldn't see me. I couldn't risk making a mistake now. I had an idea of where I was supposed to go, and when I rounded a corner I found the company very suddenly; they were struggling to remove a chain that was keeping the boat firmly tied to the dock. I pulled my necklace off and slipped it into my pocket, smirking when several of them flinched back in surprise.

"Saria,"Fili called out, a wide smile on his face; and Thorin struck him across the shoulder, likely in an effort to keep him quiet. "Give us a hand with this," He whispered as I got closer. I smiled,quickly moving to stand between he and Bofur; and though I wasn't sure what exactly their strategy was it took me only a few minutes to realize there was absolutely no way that this was going to work. I pulled back, flexing my fingers to try and remove the cramps that had formed in them; though before I could tell them to stop I felt several pairs of angry eyes burning into my back.

I turned around, my eyes moving slowly across the buildings the surrounded us; the wind whipped strands of black hair in my face, but I brushed them away. I couldn't see where the eyes were coming from,but I knew we needed to hurry if we were going to get out of here.

"Someone's watching us," I said urgently, not turning around; but I heard the others stop what they were doing and move toward me. I felt Fili and Kili step up on either side of me, much closer than normal; and though I knew exactly what they were doing I was too distracted by the movement I had seen in one of the side streets to say anything. I was just reaching for Ringil when at least twenty guards, led by the Captain I had seen earlier came pouring at us from all sides. My friends were reaching for their weapons when I stopped them. I held up the hand I had been reaching for my sword with, thankful when they all paused. "If you don't draw your weapons they may not take them from us," I snapped, "We may need them if we plan to make it to the mountain in less than three days." No one said anything, but they pulled their hands away from their weapons as the guards surrounded us; yelling so many things at once I simply couldn't pick up on a single voice.

They took us into custody, and they weren't gentle with us; but as I'd hoped they hadn't taken our weapons from us either. Which as far as I'm concerned means they're either incompetent, or they're underestimating us; either of which would certainly make this much easier for us.

"Where are you taking us?" I asked, gritting my teeth as the Captain dragged me along the uneven ground; oblivious to the fact that he was probably giving me a massive bruise.

"To see the Master," He said simply, turning his attention back to the others.

I smirked. To the Master. This should be interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun had set by the time we reached what appeared to be a square in front of the only nice building in this town; and it still wasn't anything close to impressive. I saw one of the huge doors open ever so slightly, and a small man with one eyebrow and a sour disposition stepped through. If ever there were to be a human incarnation of a weasel I was utterly convinced it would be this man. Two guards standing on either side of the doors pulled them open fully; and a large man with very little hair passed through. It went without saying that he thought very highly of himself, though the glares he was getting from the people that had come from their houses told me they did not share such an opinion.

"What is the meaning of this?" He snapped as he moved to the top of the stairs; though he made no move to come any closer.

"We caught them trying to steal one of your boats at the docks," The Captain sneered, his grip on my arm tightening even more. I was so close to running him through with my sword it was unbelievable.