Chapter 33 - The Only Plan We Have

A/N - Alright so first off I need to apologize for not updating for a seriously long time. I've been neglecting this story really badly and I'm sorry for that. But these last few months have been really rough for me. I lost one of my best friends a couple of weeks ago and just stress with deadlines coming up has me freaked, but I'm trying to get back into a routine. So I make no promises at this point, but I'm going to try and update a hell of a lot more regularly than I have been. Thank you guys so much for 5K by the way. I'm so happy that you seem to like what I'm doing here and I appreciate you sticking around despite everything. You guys are awesome and I appreciate every one of you.

Sorry again.
~Andie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I untangled myself from Fili's arms and stepped forward, straightening my shoulders as I looked to each of them in turn. They all stared at me as though I had taken leave of my senses; which I very well may have, but that would not sway me from the course I had set myself on.I fixed my gaze at last on Thorin, trying to work out which of the words bouncing around in my head would be the best to say right about now. Fili laced our fingers together and gave my hand a squeeze; fora moment I thought he wanted to stop me, but a brief glance at his face told me that was not the case. No matter what happened now, the look in his eyes assured me I would not stand alone.

     "Look around you," I said at last, "These people died doing exactly what you're trying to get us to do." I ran a hand through my hair."They tried to hide, to wait him out and look where it got them."I looked between the others, and none of them could hold my gaze formore than a few seconds. "Do you really want to die like this?Cowering? Clawing for breath?" I saw several of them flinch back atmy words, but this was not the time for me to be kind. "I don't."I concluded. "We came this far. We've faced down Trolls andGoblins, Orcs and skin changers. We've escaped Elven dungeons andtalked our way out of human towns; I think we are more than capableof getting out of this, so long as we work together." The looks they gave me told me I hadn't been as convincing as I had hoped.

     "A dragon is much more than we have ever faced before Saria," Dwalin snapped, " If we go up against him all we're going to do is get ourselves killed." I knew he believed what he was saying, but Ialso knew I was apparently going to have to save him from himself asmuch as from the dragon.

     "Would you not rather go out defending your home? In a blaze of glory,avenging the people that died here? What have you got to lose?" Imoved my eyes across our small company. "We're stronger together,and this is your home; if we work together I truly believe there isnot a single force on this earth that may stop us." Thorin took a step forward, suddenly looking as though he was interested in the things I was saying.

     "What exactly are you suggesting?" He asked, holding my grey eyes firmly with his own. I found myself smiling despite the terrible situation I had managed to get myself in the middle of.

     "You've spent over one hundred years bottling up your hatred for that monster because of what he did to your people. Now you finally have a chance to use that anger against him. This is your home Thorin, are you telling me you don't have a single idea as to how we might use this place to our advantage?" My smile widened as I watched his expression change; he was thinking hard now. "You told me once that nothing was going to stop you from coming on this quest. I came with you because I believed in the things you told me; I believed with all my heart that we could do what we set out to do. Would you really die knowing you came so close only to fail?" I saw Dwalin open his mouth and I assumed he would protest, but then he closed it again and his face fell. So I continued. "That creature has kept hold of your home for far too long. Would you really choose to give up and hide?Or will you stand with me? We have a chance to fight this, to change things and I'm going to do everything in my power to see the end of the creatures reign. Will you fight? It is time to stop saying what you're going to do; it is time for us to do something. It is time to take back Erebor!" I brushed the hair our of my face, and I was greeted with thirteen grinning faces.