Chapter 49 - The Word of A Woman

The ramparts looked deserted from where I stood, pulling the rope out of its hiding place and smiling to myself. Sleep sounded really good right about now, and I was glad Fili had seen the benefit getting at least a bit of it would be for him.

My hands began to burn a bit as I climbed higher, pausing long enough to pull the sleeves of my over-sized tunic out to protect them as best I could. I would be no good to anyone if the rope burn left me unable to hold a sword. I wrapped the rope around my right hand a few times when I finally reached the top, and gritted my teeth as I pulled myself back over the edge without too much trouble.

It took my eyes a few moments to adjust to the sudden change in lighting, but when they did I was startled to see Thorin leaning against the far wall with his eyes shut. I could see his troubled expression in the dim light of the torch that sat a few feet from him. He had changed clothes again, into something much plainer; the crown he hadn't taken off since we had come back into the mountain was gone and I wondered how much could possibly have happened in the few hours since I had left.

"What? No crown?" I teased, and his eyes flew open in surprise; his hand dropping to his sword, then moving away again after a moment when he realized it was only me. He stood slowly, walking toward me and looking me over quickly; after a moment his relief was plain on his face.

"You're alright. What happened?" I rolled my eyes.

"They weren't going to hurt me Thorin. You worry too much. King Thranduil will help us, and the plan is solid." He nodded, smiling widely down at me. "You never answered my question." I added. "Quite rude considering I answered yours." He sighed, stepping back and running his fingers through his hair; looking more exhausted than I had ever seen him.

"I am no King, Saria." He said quietly, "At least not yet. And after what happened, I'm not sure I should be either." My eyes widened as I took several steps forward, laying my hands on his shoulders without thinking twice about it.

"Thorin you need to listen to me right now." I snapped, pulling all of my hair onto one shoulder to expose the fresh bruises. "This was not your fault, and the sooner you accept that the better this will be for all of us. You have always been our King, Thorin. This is your birthright, and you are the only reason any of us survived this long. A crown and a coronation are simply technicalities. I truly believe you deserve this. And I am confident you will do very well." He smiled, though it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Will you help me?" He asked at last, and I laughed.

"You and I both know I haven't the foggiest idea how to run a Kingdom."I paused. "I can promise to do what I can, but I'm not a miracle worker." His eyes lit up, and he finally laughed. I couldn't help but laugh with him; and I felt the tension evaporate into the night. "Now we both need to get some sleep while we still can." He nodded quickly, and we took the walk back to the apartments in comfortable silence. We stopped outside the door Fili and I had chosen, and he hugged me for the briefest of moments.

"Goodnight Saria." He whispered into the top of my head. "Thank you." I could only nod; not entirely sure what particular thing he was thanking me for.

"Goodnight." I offered as he walked back down the corridor. He said nothing else, and I waited until he had gone inside one of the apartments about four down from mine before I finally opened the door and went inside. Hopeful that I would get at least a few hours of rest before I was needed for something else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~