Chapter 63 - A Fairytale Ending

"It's strange you know," Fili whispered cryptically as he went to work gently wiping some of the cake off of my face. Laughing to himself as he managed to smear more icing into my hair than he succeeded in getting out of it. I raised an eyebrow as I dragged my own napkin slowly across his face; doing what little I could to get the icing out of his mustache. I had been aiming for his cheek but somehow along the way with our arms all twisted up together my aim hadn't been quite as true as I had been expecting.

       "What is?" I asked, not completely certain I was prepared for whatever answer it was I was about to get.

       "When I saw you walking down that aisle... Well, my first thought was about how absolutely incredible you looked, and how I couldn't believe that was really happening. I didn't even want to blink. Some small part of me was afraid that if I did, you'd disappear. That it would have all been a dream and I'd never see you again." I laughed, and his cheeks took on a light pink tint I pretended not to notice. I set my napkin down on the table and took his hand. Pressing a light kiss against his knuckles as I smiled back at him.

       "And your second thought?" I pressed, slightly curious now considering how genuine his first declaration had been. He chucked to himself before looking me in the eye again.

       "My second thought, was about how after all this time, all the chaos and the danger and everything we've been through - I couldn't help but think how strange it was to see you so unarmed." I laughed with him this time for a long moment, before biting my lip and pulling him back down so that we were sitting behind the cake and no one could see us. His eyes betrayed his confusion, but a moment later I stretched one leg out and he fell curiously silent.

       I pulled my skirt apart, revealing the long slit that the fabric had been large and elegant enough that it made it absolutely impossible to detect. I pushed the fabric to one side to reveal the thigh sheath Tauriel had given me to use as my "something new." Tucked snugly inside of it were three daggers, their hilts decorated with sapphires, that Dwalin had made for me. To replace the one that I lost in the battle he had been quick to remind me. My "something blue." Fili rested his hand on my leg for a moment before folding over almost in half and laughing so hard he simply shook silently for almost a full minute. I grinned widely at him as I let my skirts fall back into place.

       "You're perfect." He whispered once he had finally regained control of himself and sat up straight to look squarely at me again. "Absolutely perfect." He repeated, setting his hands on my cheeks. "I love you. More than anything in the world." He concluded, kissing me lightly.

       "I love you too." I replied as we pulled away. We stood together, his hand solid at the small of my back and my head leaning lightly on his shoulder as we moved to the edge of the dance floor at the same time one of the chefs moved toward us to cut the rest of the cake.

        I stood silently for a long moment as I let my eyes move over all of our guests. King Thranduil and Lord Elrond were standing off to one side, deep in conversation of some kind with Beorn. Legolas was standing out on the balcony with Lord Elrond's twin sons and Dain – they were talking animatedly and comparing weapons it looked like. Even Gandalf was at a table in the far corner with a few members of the company, Bard and Hardred, as well as Lindir, Glorfindel and Lady Arwen – who looked amused at whatever it was they had found to talk about between them. Every last one of them had drinks in their hands and smiles on their faces.

        "They're all here." I whispered, more to myself than anyone else. "They're all here, and they're friends." I had seen it months ago, but only now had it really hit me. I felt a hand drop onto my shoulder, and I looked over to see Thorin grinning at me.