Chapter 18 - The Road to Mirkwood

I awoke the next morning to find Fili cursing under his breath as he struggled to untangle his arms from around me without disturbing me; I smiled.

"What are you doing?" I mumbled, my voice still heavy with sleep. He winced and stopped moving at the sound of my voice. He helped me sit up, a shy smile on his face.

"I didn't mean to wake you," He replied, brushing a strand of hair out of my face. "The others are already awake and I think Gandalf wants to go talk to Beorn." I was suddenly wide awake. I stumbled to my feet, pulling him with me as I snatched my bag up off of the floor and fastened it securely to my back. "What are you doing?" He asked as I walked quickly toward the front door; I didn't bother answering him. When I rounded the corner I saw Gandalf and the others looking out the window. Several of them smiled widely when they noticed the braid in my hair.

"Ah, Saria, Fili; you're awake. Good," Gandalf said, drawing everyone's attention. "I'm going to go speak with our host and then-" I shook my head, and thankfully he stopped talking so I didn't have to raise my voice.

"No," I argued immediately, "Your people skills have been extremely questionable as of late, and I'm not certain you can actually do this properly." I admitted.

"Whatever do you mean?" Gandalf asked, looking insulted.

"Well for starters when we were in Rivendell you were supposed to be getting the elves on our side, not convincing them Thorin was destined to lose his mind and that they should try and stop us; so we would be forced to leave under the cover of darkness. Yet that is exactly what happened." I looked to Thorin, "I may not have the best people skills, but I do however, have an idea as to how we might do this." My voice was pleading. "Let me do this." Thorin nodded.

"What exactly did you have in mind?" He asked, ignoring the angry look Gandalf shot the both of us.

"Let me go out alone. I'll explain the situation and then you all come out at once." Gandalf looked as though he would protest so I continued before he could seize the opportunity, "If we give him the whole truth all at once it will be easier for him to accept. Half truths may as well be lies, and trying to sugar coat it will do nothing but prolong the inevitable." Fili took my hand, his eyes fearful. "I'll be fine." I assured him.

"It's certainly the better plan," Thorin spat, glaring daggers at Gandalf; it didn't take a genius to figure out that the only reason they had stayed inside this long was because the two of them had been arguing again. "I trust you with this Saria... but perhaps you should leave the swords here." He suggested, his eyes now fixed on the blades strapped to my waist. I shook my head.

"If I pretend like I'm not armed and then he finds out I am he will assume we plan to hurt him and then we will all likely be killed." I said logically, though Thorin did not look convinced. "Trust me." I begged, not breaking his gaze.

"He is just outside," Thorin said finally, gesturing to the door. "Wave when you are prepared for us to join you," He paused, "Bofur will keep a careful watch on you from the window." He said decidedly; though more to himself than to me. I nodded, moving toward the front door; and though I would never admit it my heart was pounding hard in my chest. Fili took my hand again just before I reached the door.

"Be careful," He whispered, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"I will," I said quickly; stepping out the door before he could stop me. I walked quickly off the porch and saw a huge man; much larger than Gandalf even, chopping wood with an enormous axe at the side of the house. I swallowed hard around the lump in my throat. I kept my footsteps heavy so as not to surprise him with my approach. "Do you need any help?" I asked, stopping far enough away he couldn't hit me if I did indeed surprise him. He struck another large piece of wood, splinters flying across the yard.