Chapter 40 - A Needle In A Needle Stack

I don't know how many hours passed before I awoke, but when I finally forced my eyes open I felt more well rested than I had since leaving the Shire. I sat up slowly, removing my head from Fili's chest and doing my best to stretch out my aching muscles. I heard Fili groan as he reached for me; his eyes still closed and his expression childish.

     "Cold," He complained, his voice heavy with sleep as he pulled me back against him. I laughed, struggling against his grip; though I was forced to admit that, even half asleep, his strength was ridiculous. Eventually I gave up, sighing as I began playing with the braids on his mustache.

     "You do understand that we are going to actually have to get up at some point right?" I inquired, smirking when he grumbled something unintelligibly. "Fili I'm being perfectly serious," I continued, smacking his shoulder. "If we don't get moving your Uncle's going to send out a search party." His grip on me loosened just a bit, and though he seemed to quickly decide he would risk the search party I managed to wriggle my way out of his reach. I quickly got to my feet and began the hunt for my boots; given that I had not been gentle in discarding them last night.

     "Saria what in Durin's name are you doing?" He asked, covering his eyes with the crook of his arm. I struggled to pull my boot onto my foot without losing my balance as he forced himself into a sitting position. He finally slung his legs over the side of the bed and walked toward me when it became clear I had no intention of answering his question. I had finally managed to jam my feet into my stupid boots when he reached me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and forced me to cease my battle with the laces. "What is your hurry?" He inquired, holding my gaze. "We have done what we set out to do.There is nothing to fear, so why must we hurry?" I didn't miss the mischievous twinkle in his eyes, but I forced myself to return my focus to the laces. When I had my boots on I picked his tunic up off of the floor and tossed it to him. He hesitated for a moment before pulling it back on.

     "There's much to do Fili," I reminded him as I made my way toward the door."We will be of no help to anyone from in here." He muttered something under his breath that I wasn't quite able to catch; though I chose to roll my eyes at him instead of asking questions. I pulled the door open and made my way quickly back toward the stairs and down into the living room.

     I made a quick stop in the kitchen, curious as to what could possibly be in here after all these years. In the cupboards I found a few things I dared not think about, and dried fruit that looked about ready to crumble into dust. One of the first things we were going to have to do was get food; once word of the dragon's death reached the Blue Mountains the dwarves would begin making their way back to Erebor and we were going to need as much of it as we could get.

     I closed the door on the cupboard just as Fili appeared at the top of the stairs. I didn't have to say anything for him to know that breakfast wasn't exactly an option right now. No matter how famished we were.

     "Perhaps someone can find some time to go hunting today," I suggested. "There are still a lot of us and we're going to need something to tide us over until we start bringing in food again."

"I'll do it." He said immediately, his voice eager. I frowned.

     "Are you certain about that? Thorin may want you at his side today, especially now that you'll be expected to-" His lips were suddenly on mine again, and my argument fell away from my mind; leaving me blissfully oblivious to the world outside that door. I clung to the collar of his jacket for several long moments before finally forcing myself to pull away. He grinned widely at me, and it took more effort than I cared to admit to keep a frown on my own face.

     "I'll do it while the rest of you get everything organized," He assured me, "By the time I get back you'll all have figured out exactly what you need me to do, and we'll have a few days worth of food to work with." I opened my mouth to say something else, but he pressed a finger to my lips. "Let me do this for you," He whispered, his eyes pleading. I hesitated for a moment before I finally nodded. A wide grin stretched across his face. "Is there anything in particular you'd like me to catch for you?" He asked, his voice shy now. I laughed, though I felt like I should know why he was acting so strangely.