Chapter twenty-four: "sometimes it can't be about me"

"You're going to break up with my son" 

It takes me a second to comprehend before I laugh. Like full on, hysterical laughing.

"You're joking." I laugh again.

"Miss Nelson, I assure you, I am very serious."

"Okay, and tell me why the hell I would listen to you?"

"You are a distraction, Noah cannot afford a distraction, I" he emphasizes, "cannot afford him to be distracted." 

"When are you going to realize that Noah is not afraid of you? And he doesn't need you, by the way, he will do just fine without you. He would still get a full-ride to Clarkson, not to mention his future is all but planned out already, teams are begging him to enter the draft this year." I say smugly.

"Yes, I'm fully aware that my son believes himself to be independent. However, there are a few people who are very dependent on me and my role at this school."

My face gets serious as I realize he's talking about my dad, my family.

"I account for 50% of decision making power for the hockey program here at Clarkson, not to mention, my peers on the board take my opinions very seriously. One proposition from me that maybe our head coach isn't a great fit anymore, and suddenly, everything you know is gone."

"You wouldn't do that. You would be jeopardizing Clarkson's program by doing that."

"Don't underestimate me, Scarlett. I'll do anything to get my way, anything."

He starts to walk to the door before turning back to me, "I expect to hear that my son is newly single by the start of next week's game. I have ears everywhere so trust me, I'll know. Oh and Scarlett, we both know how stubborn my son can be, so let's not tell him we had this conversation. No need to make it messier than it has to be."

With that, he walks out. I stand there, stunned. How could I break up with Noah? And not tell him the reason? He'd hate me. 

I walk back out to the hallway to find the girls waiting for me.

"Where were you?" Nat asks.

"Yeah, Scarlett, we were worried." Bella adds.

"Sorry, I was just talking to someone, got held up." 

I know they could tell I was lying, or at least hiding something. I barely trusted my own words to come out without tears following. All I wanted was to tell Noah and for him to tell me it was going to ok. But I can't, and I have less than a week to find a way to end things with him. 

I make excuses for my quietness, and my obvious lack of attention. Mostly saying that I was just worried about Noah and wanted to get some sleep.

We made it back to the hotel and saw Seth, Andrew, and Cameron waiting in the lobby, but no Noah. I don't know if that was a good or bad thing, I don't think I could handle seeing him right now.

Seth has a sad look, "we can't find him, Scarlett."

I get worried and pull out my phone, his location is turned off and his DND is turned on. I call anyway, no response. I call again, nothing. I call a third time, and on the last ring he finally picks up.

I sigh in relief and motion to the group that he answered, "Noah, where are you?"

"I'm fine Scarlett." is all he says.

"Noah, talk to me, what happened?"

"I just needed some space, I'm taking a walk, I'll be back in a little bit. I don't want to see anyone though."