Chapter 2

Surprisingly, I woke up a bit earlier than my alarm this morning. It was only a few minutes, but that's an accomplishment in my eyes. I stretch and roll off the couch and head towards the bathroom.

Once finished I walk into the kitchen to turn the kettle on to make some tea. While the water heats up I return to the living room, and switch on the news.

I'm not normally the type to watch the news, but I was curious if there had been an update about the shooting that had happened the day before. The news anchor was on the scene and citizens had already started building a shrine to the fallen officers. I can't imagine what their loved ones are going through right now. I mean who could do something like this?

I stared at the screen for a little bit longer until I heard the kettle whistling. I jumped up and rushed over to quiet it. I made my cup and went outside on the small little balcony I had and just watched the morning commuters on their way to work. I didn't open this morning so at least I can have a relaxing morning. I sat for a while, planning my morning in head: to watch the morning traffic, journal and get lost in my thoughts. My phone began ringing from inside. I let out a small sigh while getting up and making my way towards the screaming device. 

It was Nat, she is the opener this morning. I answered the call and Nat immediately started yelling through the phone right after I had greeted her, "Citrine, you need to come to the shop like NOW." she sounded very frantic, which was very concerning.

"What's going on? Are you okay?" I asked, racing to find a pair of shoes, not caring that I was in pajama shorts and a random shirt that hadn't been washed in a hot minute.

"There's these two women and they barged in right when I got here. They demanded to know who sent one of them some flowers and I don't know what to do or what to say. And they aren't accepting that we don't really give that information out." she explained. Nat and Sarah have worked with me the longest, and I consider them good friends of mine.

"Alright, it's okay. I'm on my way now, I'll be there soon. Just tell them I'm coming and then just lock yourself in the office, okay?" I instructed, slipping on some shoes, grabbing my bag and racing out of the door, barely being able to lock it.

"I didn't get to finish opening up, though." she said, gasping for air. She's crying now.

"Nat, it's okay. Don't worry about it, it's not your fault. I'll get to the bottom of this." I try to reassure her. I hear her tell the lady that I'm coming and the office door is opening and shutting. I remind her to lock it and tell her I'll be there as soon as I can.

I rushed down the stairs, trying to slip my phone into my pocket and being frantic made me miss a stair and fall right on my ass on the cold concrete staircase. I mutter a string of curses as I pull myself up and run out to my car, racing to get to the shop.

I pull up and park right in the back of the shop and use my keys to get inside through the back door. I make my way through the back and rush into the office. Luckily, the customers don't see me. Nat is still in tears and trying to calm down. I wrap a blanket around her and tell her to stay here until I come back. I grab her some water and leave the office, locking the door behind me. After what happened yesterday, I'm not taking any chances.

"Hi, I'm the owner. Can I help you?" I ask.

The ladies look me up and down and the taller one asks, "You're the owner?"

"Yes, Nat called me in and I rushed over as quickly as I could. What seems to be the problem?" I repeated.

"You need to tell me who delivered these flowers to my house." she demanded, she showed me a picture that she took on her phone and I could feel my heart in my stomach. It was the boutique that I had made yesterday for the attractive man, Rio.