22

"You've said 'I love you' before, right?" Ruby asks, pouring herself a cup of coffee. 

"Yeah, but we don't say it too often. We've said more lately, but still."

"What did he say?" 

"I don't think he said anything. I think he left after that. Maybe he didn't want to hurt my feelings or maybe he thought I only said it because I was drunk. Oh god, what if he thought that?" I place my face in my hands.

"Calm down, you said he's guy is bringing us breakfast, which is super sweet, he has his guys looking out for you. But, maybe ask him if he knows anything." 

"I can't! Mick is loyal, but too Rio. If I ask him then he'll turn around and tell Rio everything." 

"What if you get him to play messenger?" she suggests. 

"We're not twelve! I don't like playing games with Rio."

"Alright, then you only have two options." 

"Run away forever?" I ask.

"Okay, you've got three options. You can either A.) run away forever, B.) never bring it up again or C.) talk to him. Now, I favor C, but I support you no matter what you decide to do."

The knocking on the door interrupts my thinking, I jump and answer it. Mick is standing there holding two big brown paper bags.

"He said to drop these off to you." He says, handing me the bags. 

"Thanks, Mick. Um, what kind of mood would you say he's in?" 

"Normal mood. Why? Did you two fight again?" 

"No, no. I just said something to him last night." I hand the bags to Ruby before turning back to face Mick. 

"Anything bad?"

"Um, no, not exactly." 

"She's trying to determine if he thinks she was too drunk." Ruby calls out. 

"Talk to him." Mick says, before walking away from the door. 

I shut the door and make my way to the kitchen where Ruby was going through the bags, "Dude, he set us up!" 

"Maybe I should call Rhea?" 

"Who?" she asks, biting into a piece of toast. 

"His ex." 

"Eh, it's good you two can get along, but like you don't want to drag her into it." 

"That's true. But, it would be nice to talk to someone who knows him." 

"Oh, I know! Him!" she pushes. 

"What if he thinks I was just drunk?"

"Were you? I mean, I haven't asked yet, but like are you in love with him?"

"Yeah, I am." I nod, smiling.

"Then, talk to him. You can't hide your feelings." 

"I just got onto him about not telling me how he feels..." 

"Exactly! You can't hide your feelings and then expect him to open up to you." she states. 

"You're right, I'll talk to him. After breakfast though, I'm starving." 

"Me too, go wake Sapphire." 

"No way! You go wake her." 

"You woke me up, so it's on you." 

I left Ruby and Sapphire at home and call a Lyft to make my way to the bar where my car still sits. I walk inside the empty bar to see Rio and Mick leaning against the counter, talking. Fuck...