Chapter 7

Rio had started showing up randomly to the shop or to my apartment with random little gifts. It started off with dropping off lunch, then a couple of dinners, then I walked into the office one morning and there was a little wrapped present on my desk. There was a dainty necklace inside, I quickly closed the box and called him telling him to return it. He laughed it off and told me to enjoy it before hanging up on me.

I decided to try the necklace on and I just never took it off, which he didn't hesitate in mentioning when he noticed my wearing it, "So, I take it you like it after all, mama?" with the usual smirk on his face.

The drive to The Paper Porcupine is a short journey. I started using them to get my cards done because they got this graphic designer to come in and she was very good. She sat down with me and created the artwork. Her name is Lucy and she is very skilled.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I checked the time. I only had a few minutes to get in there before they closed. I usually never go to stores that are closing soon, but I only needed to grab the package that is already paid for. And judging by the lack of cars in the parking lot I was sitting in, I was the only customer. I quickly climb out of the car and into the shop, Lucy nowhere in sight.

"Hello?" I called out. Figuring the person was in the bathroom or the back I just started looking around the small store. I heard shoes making contact from the back and I decided to call out again, "Hello? Lucy, that you?" I make my way to the door separating the front and back and I see someone pop their head out.

"Lucy! And Beth?" I stepped back from the pair in concern.

"H-hi, what are you doing here?" Lucy stammered, looking over shoulder into the back room.

"Um, I'm here to get my cards here for my shop, I was told they would be ready. Beth, I didn't realize you work here?"

"Recently, yeah. Um, what was the order for?"

"Uh, Citrine Flowers. A-Are you two okay?"

"Yeah, let me just check on that for you." Lucy said, slamming the door closed.

I heard muffled voices and some boxes falling before she came back with my order.

"Alright, here you go. Have a good one." Beth began closing the door back, but I put my boot in the way.

"Beth, is there someone else in there?"

"What? No!" She tries to laugh it off, but it's not convincing.

"Should I call the police?" I whisper.

"No! No! Don't do that, I-I" she stops talking as the door slings open a bit, revealing Rio.

"Whatcha doing, mama?" he looked down at me, no smirk. Just a stone-cold face.

"I-I needed to pick up my order for the bouquet cards." I explained.

"Well, come join the party then." he swung the door open more, gesturing for Beth to move. When she didn't, he looked down at her to meet her already awaiting gaze.

"It's already pretty crowded." Beth tried reasoning with him.

"I can go, it's no problem." I shrug.

Rio grasps my arm and pulls me into the room, instructing Lucy to go lock the front door. There were only two other men in the room, Mick being the only recognizable one. Beth's two friends stood off to the side, eyes going wide when they see me.

I swiftly looked over my shoulder asking Rio what was going on, only to be ignored. He places his hands on my shoulders and positions me behind one of the stools that circle a huge table. I place my stuff down on the surface before sliding onto my assigned stool. Rio sits to my right and Lucy quickly returns and takes a seat across from me, on the other side of the table. It appeared she had been working on something for the group. She began typing again and the whole room was eerily silent. The only noise was the occasional clicking from the mouse. I assume a mouse, because I couldn't actually see anything.

I look to Rio for some explanation, one of his hands was being used as a pillow for his chin, a gun was in the other. He glanced over at me, clearly seeing the fear in my eyes.

"All done. Um, feel free to email me any questions, but it's all on there." Lucy states, pulling a flash drive out of the computer and handing it to Rio. She calls out her email and Rio stands up "Come on. We'll give you a ride." he offers, looking at the group of three. The women were quick to make excuses. He turns to me and gestures with his head to follow. I quickly toss the box in my bag and stand up, deciding it would be best to stick right behind him.

He begins walking, and I step behind him, becoming more fearful as we approach the women. "Let's go." he states, walking past the women and up the short flight of stairs; me right on his tail. The door shuts behind me, causing me to gasp lightly. We walk around the side of the building and I see my car.

As I get ready to sprint he scolds me quickly, not once looking back, "Don't do that."

I let out a breath and continued to follow him, hearing the door open up again. I don't bother looking back either. We approach a black van with tinted windows on the side of the road. He finally stops at the back doors and waits patiently as the others catch up.

"All right, Star. We'll drop you off wherever you want. Least we could do." He says, opening the van doors. Mick immediately climbs in, a gun still in hand.

"Lucy, don't." Beth pleads.

Lucy hesitates, and Rio sighs "Here's the thing. I've been doing this a long time. Only way someone like you gets hurt is if you talk. You're not going to talk, right?"

She shakes her head and whispers "No." and proceeds to metaphorically cross her heart.

"Then you'll never see me again. Unless, I got questions about that plate, yeah?" he smiles at the girl. Which led Lucy to repeat her email.

"My girl." Rio says, holding his hand out to help her into the van. My heart was thumping in my chest as Lucy walked in further to sit beside Mick. Why would his gun still be out if they're taking her home?

"Who's next?" he asks, turning to the rest of us. I instantly step back, his eyes snapping towards me as if to say 'Don't move."

Beth begins spitting out stuff about plates, and a press. I really had no clue what was going on. The women's eyes began tearing up and I felt so stupid. Why hadn't I realized what the hell was going on earlier? Am I that dumb?

Beth is pleading for their lives. I don't know what was on the flash drive that Lucy gave him, but I know how to get it. Fun fact, I'm an excellent pick pocket. I take a step back towards him, as Beth was yelling about a cookbook analogy and slyly sneak my hand into his jacket pocket and grab the drive, dropping it into my own. Annie already had eyes on me when I looked back up, but didn't say anything.

It was silent for a few seconds before he just said "Nah."

"No?"

"Not all of you." he confirmed, nodding to Mick. Lights flashed in the van along with a loud echoing boom. I instantly shut my eyes, hearing van doors close and the van driving off.

He left me here... What was the point of bringing me along if he wasn't going to take me? Not that I want to witness more than what I've already seen, but come one! Why didn't he just let me go to my car? Why put me through this? He said just days prior he wouldn't let Mick kill someone in front of me!

I look at the group of women who haven't spoken since. They just turn around and start heading back to their car. I decided to do the same. I take one last look at the group, before entering my car. My text tone went off and I looked down at the bright screen, "I know it was you, mama."