Chapter 8

I know it was you, mama.

Okay, I knew he would figure out it was me, I was the closest to him to be able to do it. However, I hoped it would take longer than 5 freaking minutes. I wanted enough time to figure out what was on the damn thing. I pulled out of the parking space and drove to a local cafe that stays open late and quickly rushed inside, bag in hand. I ordered a tea, snagged a table in the back, so I could face the door. I set up my laptop and plugged in the adapter along with the flash drive.

I didn't need the cafe for the wifi, I just wanted to be in a public place, in case Rio showed up. Or worse, he sends someone. I grab my phone quickly, switching the device off. At this point, I don't know what he could do, and it wouldn't surprise me if he could find my location in a matter of minutes. I open the file and slump back into the chair as I realize what was on the drive. A perfect ten dollar note, front and back.

That's what his 'business' entails? Counterfeit bills? Is it weird to say that I was expecting a lot worse? I was expecting this to be some secret hacking code or something, I have no clue. Annie did tell me about the cars and pills, but this just seems like a step back. Didn't they start working for him with counterfeit bills? I save a copy to my laptop and to the backup account.

"You're good, Darlin'."

My head snaps up to see Rio sitting across me, with Mick standing right behind him. Can he teleport?

"Let's go." he motions his head to his left.

I quickly shake my head.

He leans forward, interlocking his hands on the table "This isn't funny, Citrine. Don't make it worse for yourself."

"I've probably already signed my death certificate." I sneer.

He just stares at me for a moment then reaches over and unplugs the drive from the adapter and hands it to Mick, who proceeds to walk straight out of the cafe.

"Why'd you take it?" he asks.

"I clearly don't know anything about your world and when I finally realized what was happening at the van, I just, I don't know I just took it." I confess, staring down at the table.

"When?"

"What?" I looked back up and he was leaning back in the chair.

"When did you take it?"

"When Beth was talking about a cookbook or something."

He nods his head before getting up, "Let's go."

Mick re-enters the shop and stands behind Rio once again.

"No."

He reaches down, snatching my bag from under the table. He shuts the laptop and puts it in, zipping it back up.

"One more chance." He warns, giving the bag to Mick.

I see an escape route, if I could get out of the booth and to the back I could circle around to my car. Luckily, my keys aren't in my bag. I practically jump from the booth, but am tackled by the man who has become constant in my life.

He grabs my hips and throws me over his shoulder. This is giving me flashbacks...

"Thanks for the tip, James." he waves to the guy behind the counter. Does he just know everybody?

I look around for help, but the cafe is now empty. Where did everyone go? There were some people when I came in. I drop my head back down and let myself be carried to my death bed. What if they're driving the van? I begin fidgeting around.

"I refuse to get in that van, Rio!" I scream.

"Stop." he demands.

"If you have or ever had any respect for me then you won't put me in that van, please!" I plead, tears beginning to roll down my face. The vehicle is unlocked and I'm placed by a black car door. I sink to my knees, bawling my eyes out at this point.