16

The moment I see Peri in the airport terminal I ran to him throwing myself into his arms sobbing uncontrollably. He wraps his arms around me and lets me cry in his arms, telling me it'll be okay. He manages to get me outside the airport and to his car. He had to drop me off at his place since he had to go back to work, since he had to be in court for a case. I didn't mind, his place is much nicer than mine and he has more tv subscriptions. 

I lay on his couch, curled into a blanket burrito as I watch a movie, waiting for Peri to return home. I wonder if he needs a roommate? Well, he clearly doesn't need one, he's doing just fine on his own. What if I move the shop here? New city, new state. Ugh, but that's a lot of hassle right now, and a broken heart shouldn't control my decision making right now. 

Peri came home with dinner and told me about the case he had, the guy's lawyer saw how much Peri's team had on him and he decided to pursue his client to take a plea deal. He was trying to take my mind off of Rio, and it worked for a while. We tried to talk about anything else, but somehow it led back to him.

"I can't believe he just acted like he didn't give a fuck about you." Peri said, plopping a dumpling into his mouth. 

"He acted like I was one of those housewives he cares about so much." I angrily stab into the dumpling box he was holding. 

"Well, you can stay here as long as you want." he swings an arm over me and I curl up to him. I missed always having him around. 

I had managed to go outside the apartment to be the usual tourist. I had never been to NYC, and I wanted to take advantage of being here. I stayed pretty close to the apartment, knowing Peri will take me sight-seeing on his day off. He had given me his spare fob before he went to work so I could come and go as I please. 

I just walked around, thinking about my next move before returning to the apartment. There was a clatter in the kitchen; Peri didn't tell me maintenance was stopping by. I walked into the kitchen and saw Rio sitting on the island with a vase of flowers sitting next to him. 

"Usually go to this one florist, but her shop was closed." he jokes. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask, stepping back from him. 

"Taking in the sights." he chuckles. 

"Rio."

"Came to see you, Darlin'." he hops off the counter and starts slowly walking towards me. 

"Why?" I start backing up. 

"You know why." 

I shoulder check a wall, but ignore the pain as I continue to back up. I turn around and rush into the bedroom I slept in last night, Rio right on my tail. I try slamming the door in his face, but he's quick to shove his shoe in the doorway. I keep pushing, knowing he could easily push the door open if he really wanted to. He manages to get inside the room without knocking me over. 

"Think you can just drop a bomb like that and just leave?" he asks, stalking towards me. 

"I didn't think it mattered anymore, anyways." I stammer.

"Oh, Darlin', it matters. I got the Secret Service breathing down my neck and you just up and leave like it's nothing." he growls. 

The Secret Service? I thought they were more President related, but okay...

"Well, you have her. What does it matter if I leave?" my back finally hitting a wall.

"She has put three slugs in me and hired a hitman to come after me and now she's working with them. Found a tracker on my car. Don't have her because I don't want her." he corners me, placing both hands on the wall.