Chapter 6

We laid in the bed next to each other out of breath, just staring up at the ceiling. Neither of us said a word, until my phone began ringing from the living room. As I sat up to go retrieve it, Rio stopped me by grasping onto my arm.

"Let it ring, mama. We still gotta talk."

"I-I have to make sure it isn't one of the girls, I left Nat there and-and she's probably going to start worrying about me. I-I need to tell her I'm okay." I stumbled out. He hesitated, staring at me for a moment before releasing my arm. I quickly threw my underwear and my shirt back on and rushed to the phone that had now stopped ringing. I heard footsteps and turned to see Rio exiting the bedroom, now wearing the pants he arrived in. There was a voicemail from Nat and I ignored the voicemail and just went ahead and called her back.

"Put it on speaker, Ma." he instructs, strolling into the kitchen. I sighed, but followed the order.

"Citrine, thank god you're okay. I was starting to worry about you. Where are you? Are you okay? Did something happen?" she rambled.

"Nat, I'm fine. I just um got held up..." I said.

"With what? You went home to change your shirt... Oh is it that guy? The hot one from the all day date!" she squealed. I don't bother looking at Rio, already knowing he would have a smirk on his face.

"Yeah..." I trailed off.

She gasps "Did you two do it? Oh my god, did you do it in his car? Did you go back to his place? I need details -"

I cut her off. "I'll tell you later, but I won't be coming back today, so if you could just let Sarah know, she'll be working alone, that would really help me out."

"Oh, I can stay, I need the extra time, to make up for me having to call out a few days ago." she offered. I accepted, trying to get off the phone quickly.

"Remember my picture!" she shouts before I hang up. I sighed heavily before dropping my phone back on the couch. I turned back around to face Rio and he was leaning on my counter, with a glass of bourbon in hand, the fore-mentioned smirk very much present.

"Am I 'the hot one from the all day date' or are you stringing several men along?" he jokes.

"What makes you think they're all men?" I smirk.

His smirk drops and he comes around the counter to join me in the living room. He tells me to take a seat, and I comply. He sits on the other side of my couch and places his glass on the coffee table.

"Alright, ma. We gotta have a chat." he starts, "I don't want these women around you any more. If I gotta send one of my guys down there then so be it. And this attitude you've caught needs to stop. I told you, you don't need to be afraid of me. I know this attitude is mostly coming from fear since you found out."

Fuck, he didn't need to check me like that... I just sat there, finding the floor much more interesting than his face while he gave this lecture.

He scoots closer to me before tilting my chin up to look at him.I slowly left my gaze to meet his. God, how did I get involved in all of this and why is he so magnetizing?

He cups my face and leans in, "I don't want you to be scared of me, Citrine. You're real, it's hard to find that, especially in my business. Beth and her friends shouldn't have told you and she shouldn't have tried to get you involved. And I'm sorry for accusing you."

I look back down to the floor as he slowly releases me. I wasn't sure what to say. I mean today felt pretty toxic. He sent someone to my home and just how he acted today. And I don't like how I acted today as well. My thoughts were circling around in my head.