Prologue

July, 2016

"You could sit a little straighter."

I blink once. Twice. Then a third time.

Did I hear him correctly?

Just in case it was someone else with a familiar voice who spoke, I look up at him from the open menu that was in front of me.

He's staring directly at me, eyebrows twitched together into a frown.

Yup, he was clearly talking to me.

Ignoring him and his male chauvinistic comment, I turned a page on the menu, letting my eyes roam through the offers the restaurant has.

I'm definitely getting the most expensive pizza now.

The lovely waitress walked back to our small table in the corner of the room, stopping next to me and looking at us with a bright smile.

They surely don't pay her enough for this.

"Could you decide on what you're getting?"

I saw him open his mouth to speak from the corner of my eyes but I didn't give him a chance to make a sound. "I'd like to have this one please, with extra cheese and salami on top. And a bottle of your fanciest wine." Her manicured hands scribbled down my order, not even looking up from the small notepad while I flicked my gaze on him with an awfully fake smile. "We're celebrating after all, right honey?"

We were in fact not celebrating.

I was much rather mourning the reliability of online dating sites. You think he's nice and handsome, then when you meet him in person he's a saggy, unshaved piece of ass who dresses in golf shirts and has a bald spot.

Definitely hit the jackpot right there.

"He'll have a salad. Basic salad. He has to watch his cholesterol level." And with that I send the waitress on her way and lean back against my chair, slouching a bit to make myself more comfortable.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" He spits, red hot fury rolling off his tongue. There was a prominent vein on his forehead that grew bigger and bigger by the minute and if he didn't relax it would surely pop and ruin my twenty-pound dress from Shein.

Don't judge until you try.

"Ordering you food, baby. Something wrong?" I flutter my mascara-coated lashes innocently, pushing my bottom lip out into a pout.

If I learned one thing in life it's that men are simple. Way too simple.

See, I've only met our friend Daniel here fifteen minutes ago but I already saw right through him.

He wants me to be his doll but he would never ever make a scene in public. His high and mighty ass is more important than that.

So since my date was already set to be a failure why not have fun with it?

"I will make sure you-"

"Ah, can't hear you! Sorry!" The band that was playing live at the restaurant tonight started playing right on time before Daniel could've spewed some more of his anger on me.

I saw him mutter some curse words under his breath which were luckily tuned out by the loud drums and guitar.

I moved my gaze from Mr. Fury to the stage, to see a brunette girl giving her everything to the set of drums. She was hitting them so hard I feared her sticks might break, or even worse, break her drum set.

My eyes wandered over to the man on the left, playing bass guitar. He had a smile on his face that screamed "rock and roll motherfuckers!" and he was looking over to the other man on the right. He was a lot less enthusiastic but the way his fingers worked on the strings gave me chills. Like actual, making-your-hair-stand chills.